Talk

Advanced search

Are Gro Clocks worth £39.95 ?

(13 Posts)
TheWorstWitch Sun 26-Jul-09 20:38:45

On the occasions when my 2 year old DD wakes between 5-6am and comes in to say good morning, I put her back into bed and tell her it's still sleep time. Yet, when she wakes after 6am I welcome her in to our bedroom.
I realise this is rather confusing for her and wondered if it was worth buying a Gro Clock.

I'm hesitant because:
1. it's quite pricey
2. I'm wondering if the night light is too bright as she currently sleeps without night light?
3. People have complained that the bunny clock makes a noise when it's wake up time, thus waking child if asleep, and I wonder if Gro Clock does this too?

Any thoughts?

specialmagiclady Sun 26-Jul-09 20:41:26

Is that the one with the sleeping rabbit/waking up rabbit nightlight thingy.

Not sure it is, no.

Mine fell apart and you couldn't set it for 2 times eg. Wake up 7, go to bed 8.

It's really just a crappy digital clock with a large nightlight attached. My 3 yo became obsessed with switching it on and off at the mains which fucked with the timings and it wasn't exactly silent when the alarm went off.

nigglewiggle Sun 26-Jul-09 20:46:22

Don't know, but can confirm that bunny clock wakes them up angry.

Ours also pops up randomly, so when granny was babysitting the other night, she was greeted by DD1 appearing on the landing declaring "bunny's ears are up, good morning."

When it works it is great. But it needs to be less noisy. We only paid about £15 for ours. Will watch with interest.

Piglett Sun 26-Jul-09 20:53:25

We had a bunny clock which DS managed to make wake up. We now have fairly lights on a digital timer which tell us when to go to sleep and when to get up. He knows that he cannot get up until the fairies and cannot reprogram them. Also much cheaper and more fun IMO

amidaiwish Sun 26-Jul-09 20:55:34

the Gro-clock is fantastic.
i have had the pop up bunny one
the light up bunny one
both broke

this has really worked for us. so good that both DDs have one. £££££ ouch.

speical offerhere and free delivery with code KF1ZZ140!

amidaiwish Sun 26-Jul-09 20:58:25

to answer some of your questions blush
no there is no sound at wake up (you can set an alarm to sound if you want)
the night light is fairly bright but can be adjusted. saying that, my niece stayed the other night and i had to turn it off for her.

at wake up time the blue moon face turns into a sun with yellow background by winking, turning red/orange then into the sun with yellow backdrop. the sun beams dance around and around. DD loves it and waits in bed so she doesn't miss it. honestly it has been a total hit.

strongblackcoffee Sun 26-Jul-09 21:02:39

We have had the bunny nightlight clock (with sleeping/waking bunny) that you set the time. It worked very well, managed to persuade my 5am riser DS1 to stay in bed until 6.30 eventually. However, it was ridiculously expensive (about £36), incredibly flimsy, and the first one malfunctioned (luckily within 30 days, so replaced by John Lewis).

Recently some other parents that I know mentioned that they had achieved the same result ('light comes on, child knows it's morning time') simply by putting a timer switch on a plug with a light. Cost about £2 and equally effective. Wish I'd thought of that originally...

TheWorstWitch Sun 26-Jul-09 21:05:19

Thanks for the special offer link amidaiwish.
Just one more question - when you turn the night light off, does the whole thing turn off? Or can you use it without using the night light?

amidaiwish Sun 26-Jul-09 21:08:05

no, i pulled the plug out to turn it off. during the day a while after the sunrise, the clock switches to a digital clock face with a much paler backlight.

Bolshy Sun 26-Jul-09 21:12:00

Whichever clock you opt for, make sure you put it somewhere where your dc can see it, but can't reach it. This ensures that there is no "cheating" and the clock lasts a lot longer.

amidaiwish Sun 26-Jul-09 21:28:43

the gro-clock has a function which stops them - hold and press a button which disables the keys. i guess they could work out how to re-able them by pressing and holding the button so don't let them see you do it!

agree bolshy - DD1 was waking the bunny clock (pop up ears one) by herself within 3 days.

TheWorstWitch Sun 26-Jul-09 21:32:45

Just bought one from Mamatoto.
We're going to put it on top of DD's wardrobe, not too close for the light to wake her but within view and out of DD's reach.

Amidaiwish - thank you for the free delivery code!!

smile

amidaiwish Sun 26-Jul-09 21:34:54

i hope it helps. i've really found it brilliant. when DD1 wakes now, if there are 3 stars left then she knows to try to go back to sleep. if one star left then she lies in bed waiting.
i am gradually setting it later and later. i started at 6.20am when we got it and tonight set it to 6.59 YAY!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now