Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do u get your 2 1/2 yr old to have a nap once s/he is in a big bed?

(11 Posts)
nzbabies Sun 26-Jul-09 03:30:34

Hi, it seems impossible to me! Its been 2 nights in the big boy bed and he's not doing too badly - am v. strict saying I will shut the door if he keeps coming out. But daytime,I can't seem to get him to sleep. And he gets more and more hyper and hard to control as the day goes on. He could listen to story cds but he just won't stay lying down. Any idea's, or shall I just give up? He wakes at night too but that's another story. Is it possible he will just adjust to no daytime sleep and sleep longer at night? Thanks for replies!

ches Sun 26-Jul-09 04:43:42

Lie down and have a cuddle with him.

savoycabbage Sun 26-Jul-09 05:12:02

I would just keep doing what you are doing. The strictness that is. two nights isn't long enough to give up just yet. Keep at it. Also make whatever you do when he gets up really boring, so he's feels he's not missing anything. I would think about putting him back in the cot if he is going to be tired and grumpy in the afternoons.

nzbabies Sun 26-Jul-09 23:45:21

Thanks for replies smile I would love to lie down and have a cuddle with him but I have another baby so it's just not usually possible. Arggh! He is really not getting enough sleep. I know he still needs the daytime one. And now the baby is in the cot so I don't think I will give it back. Maybe if I just shut his bedroom door for the daysleep?! I don't know what else to do but incarcerate him!!! Will be horrible though. What can I do?! He doesn't seem to get the "if you lie down and go to sleep you can have a special treat when you wake up" although maybe I could try it again...

nappyaddict Mon 27-Jul-09 01:01:21

Let him lie down on the sofa with a special blanket, cuddly toy and book or story tape? Or put a gate on the door.

scowles Tue 04-Aug-09 07:06:41

Hi, this might be wrong but it works for us. my 2 and half dd has an afternoon nap in the pushchair. at first i use to strap her in and walk up and down garden but now she chooses herself between napping on sofa or in pushchair and if she chooses pushchair, just climbs in with blanket and doll. i don't even have to rock her. two mins later she's asleep. I also found that having two naps at 2years was too much for her so we knocked the morning one on the head and now she sleeps from 1pm till 3pm then still goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps through the night. Hope that helps. good luck

ILovePudding Tue 04-Aug-09 07:37:02

I found myself in a similar situation to you recently. DD moved to her big bed a couple of weeks ago. The first time that she was really playing up at sleep time I felt myself losing my rag a bit, so she was given a warning before I put her in the stroller, and wheeled her into the hallway where there was nothing to distract her for a few minutes. After which I went and asked her if she was ready for bed. She said yes and went back to her bed without a fuss. I guess it was really just a bit of time out, but did the trick.

The next couple of times I just didn't react to the messing about. Gave her a kiss, said the usual 'have a nice sleep, love you' etc, and left the room as normal. This also worked and I continued using this tactic as it's less faffing all round. I know that she sometimes still messes about for a bit before going to sleep (when I've gone to get her after her sleep there have been toys in with her that weren't there when I left grin). But she obviously soon gets a bit bored with it when there is no response from me.

Her sleep time has got a bit later recently (more like 2.30, 3pm) and she sleeps for a couple of hours. But she goes to bed about 8.30 for the night.

She has a very predictable nap routine as well - always a drink of milk while reading a couple of stories, a trip to the loo then bed.

JodieO Tue 04-Aug-09 07:51:47

Mine have always been about 1ish when they've stopped napping so I'd just assume the nap had been dropped.

Picante Tue 04-Aug-09 07:53:57

Maybe he doesn't need a sleep any more? DS stopped having naps when he moved to his big bed, but he'd still sleep if I took him out in the buggy or car.

blondemumma Mon 31-Aug-09 07:47:11

Having exactly the same problem with 2.4 yr old since moving to bed a month ago. I think he still needs his nap and in the past it has always worked well if I put him down early - around 12ish (it never fails at nursery). This was when he was going to sleep by 8.00-8.30 and waking 6.30-7.00 (this has also gone a bit tits up since move to big bed!)

Have tried putting him in the car at 12 and driving round til he's dropped off - then get him out and put straight in bed - this has worked sometimes. But we are going to try putting a stairgate on his door today and making sure he has hardly anything to play with in room.

Will let you know how it goes!

egmontmum Tue 01-Sep-09 14:08:34

STAIR GATE ON THE DOOR TO BEDROOM IS A GREAT IDEA AND HAS WORKED WELL FOR US.

TAKES A WHILE, & WE FOUND FIRSTBORN ASLEEP IN ALL KINDS OF PLACES FOR AGES (JUST NOT THE BED), BUT ALL WORKED OUT.

NUMBER TWO IN BIG BED FOR FIRST TIME LAST NIGHT, & THE GAMES START AGAIN - ONE NIGHT AT A TIME; IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST A WEEK, IF NOT LONGER, BUT YOU WILL GET THERE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now