Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas how to get 20 month old to sleep through?

(9 Posts)
elsmommy Sun 22-May-05 18:10:07

She wakes up and cries. If shes left she just gets worse and worse and won't go back down.
We just go in, put the blanket back over her, stand there for a few mins and she goes back to sleep.

Its also takes up to an hour to get her to sleep at bed time. We just have to sit by the side of the bed. Don't mind this so much, just want a night without been woken.

Any hints of tips greatly appreciated

bagpussmice Sun 22-May-05 20:08:08

elsmommy - our dd2 who is 19 months doesn't ever sleep through either. Tried all sorts. She generally wakes up as she has wriggled out of her covers and up the cot - just needs tucking back into her duvet and she usually goes back straight away, so although it only takes a while to settle her - it's still disturbed sleep every night as this happens at least 2 or 3 times a night. We have tried sleeping bags but she doesn't seem happy in them - much prefers a quilt - like her big sis. I will watch this thread with interest.
Has your dd ever slept through the night?

SenoraPostrophe Sun 22-May-05 20:11:53

well you could try:

1. a sleeping bag (dd had one till she was 2.5)
2. if she still wakes up, go in, but don't stand over her - stand at the door. after a few nights go in and then leave immediately. that may work on its own, or you may have to leave her to cry for a bit - we did a similar thing with ds at 9 months and it was horrible but it worked after 2 nights

elsmommy Mon 23-May-05 16:43:13

Hi bagpussmice
My dd did sleep through the night just after I stopped breast feeding her.
She seems to sleep through for a few weeks and then stop for a few months.
I just feel so tired all the time

kbaby Mon 23-May-05 22:26:49

hi ive got a dd whos 1 year and never slept through.
At bedtime we have to stand at the cot for her to go to sleep. Weve been trying to leave the room and then when she creis go in and lay her back down and leaver again. This may take 10 attemps before she admits defeat and will go to sleep.
At night were trying the same thing but again it can take upto 1 hour to work.
I wish someone had a miracle cure.

lau1234 Tue 24-May-05 09:38:11

i'm a 19 year old mam to two kids my 4 year old wont does as she is told and my 11 month stil eakes up 6 times durin the night wat can i do

lau1234 Tue 24-May-05 09:42:57

my house is only a 2 bedroomed so my oldest daughter has one bedroom n my 11 month old shares a bedroom with me so i cant just leave her cry wen she wakes up durin the night i just feed her back 2 sleep now she wakes up every hour 2 be fed

Lonelymum Tue 24-May-05 09:46:24

Try leaving her with a tape recorder playing tunes or stories in the evening instead of sitting there with her. Keep the volume down low - I have it so that my children have to lie still to be able to hear it - and I find that works well. Sometimes after about half an hour, ds3 is still awake and the tape comes to the end, but all we have to do is go in and trun the tape over: no conversation, no attention.

Lonelymum Tue 24-May-05 09:48:08

I don't believe that you can't leave the baby to cry for a bit if they share a room. Mine share a room too, but I find the older one comforts the younger one. Often if the younger one wakes in the night, I find out in the mroning that the older one can't even remember if he was woken up by the crying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now