Talk

Advanced search

Aaaargh - 8mo suddenly waking up at 2am wanting to play

(14 Posts)
makedoandmend Wed 22-Jul-09 21:34:54

For the past week my dd has been waking up at about 2am - I think she wakes earlier but quietly murmers to herself until she gets bored then begins to wail (which is what she does in the morning at her normal wake-up time). I feed her and then she beams at me and chatters away. When I try and put her down to sleep to see if she'll go off on her own she mithers - turning to a cry - but is happy and chatty again at being picked up.

Last night this went on for two hours shock and I ended up just feeding and feeding her until she eventually went off

I wonder whether she's having a growth spurt (but surely she'd be crankier?), or should I cut down on naps during the day - at the moment she has an hour in the morning and an hour and a half to two hours in the afternoon.

She's on solids but I also bf several times a day

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful (If I disappear it means tiredness has take it's toll sad)

makedoandmend Wed 22-Jul-09 21:35:36

Oh she has just sprouted one tooth - but seems fairly happy with it...

ches Thu 23-Jul-09 02:53:15

It's a phase. My DH used to wake DS stomping to bed and promptly fall asleep while I had to endure being crawled on/poked/prodded/etc. for an hour or two until DS went back off.

makedoandmend Thu 23-Jul-09 09:17:17

Thanks ches - What is it about men that they can't go to bed quietly - mine even takes his trousers of noisily? Just realised the time you posted - is that what has happened tonight?!

I just hope this phase is short-lived - do you know how long it lasted with your DS? I can feel the old lack-of-sleep-newborn-crankiness seeping back sad

ches Fri 24-Jul-09 04:36:38

Nah, I'm in the US and DS now goes to bed in his own room and has started sleeping deeply eventually. (He still wakes up e.g. around 11 to have a wee, but goes right back off.)

Knickers0nMaHead Fri 24-Jul-09 04:39:44

think we may have long lost twins! Except ds wont go back to sleep so i had to come downstairs with him as dp up for work in 10mins.

makedoandmend Fri 24-Jul-09 08:58:17

Poor you KnickersOnMaHead (love the name by the way grin - hope you got some sleep eventually. I get the feeling that I could have 15 kids and their sleeping patterns would still take me by surprise!

Knickers0nMaHead Fri 24-Jul-09 09:05:40

well dd used to sleep 13hours straight through from being 6weeks. Now shes terrible too! I naively thought ds would do the same!

makedoandmend Fri 24-Jul-09 09:38:44

My dd was a great sleeper too - I guess this is what we get for being smug when everyone else was up 15 times a night!

BertieBotts Fri 24-Jul-09 09:48:32

DS did this once or twice and then went back through again. I used to pretend to be asleep (with one eye half open in case he crawled off the bed) and feed him as much as I could in the hope he would be sleepy and only get up and pick him up if he started to cry. I would try not to speak and only say things like "sssshhh time to sleep" (whispering)

It must be something about having good sleepers as tinies grin that they drive you mad as soon as they are mobile!

Knickers0nMaHead Fri 24-Jul-09 10:30:31

Ds has never gone longer than 3hours!

makedoandmend Fri 24-Jul-09 10:34:20

When it happened the other night I though DH was asleep (8mo still sleeps in our room due to space issues). Was shushing dd when I suddenly heard a very sleepy, deep rendition of baa baa black sheep which slowly tailed off into a snore.

DH trying to be helpful!

makedoandmend Fri 24-Jul-09 10:36:19

Is your ds eight months knickers? What a nightmare! One of our nct group has an 8mo who has never slept for more than two hours at a time if that makes you feel any better <<shudders>>

Knickers0nMaHead Fri 24-Jul-09 10:46:08

Just a little bit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now