Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2 hours sleep last night and I can barely cope

(11 Posts)
kazbeth Wed 22-Jul-09 09:17:10

My 6.5 month old's sleep has gotten really bad since she was ill a couple of weeks ago. She used to sleep about 6 hours at night - not great but at least it meant I'd usually get at least 5 hours sleep myself by the time I'd settled her.

The last week or so she's been waking all through the night for feeds (breastfed). For example last night was at least every hour so I barely got 2 hours. I really can't cope on so little sleep. When I stand up I feel dizzy, I have no energy to do anything (currently my eldest is watching tv whilst I'm feeding and on here).

I can't sleep in the day as I have another child who no longer naps. My youngest doesn't seem to sleep in the day either unless we're in the car or she's in the pushchair or on my lap (but tricky when you have another child who wakes her up). I don't have any help available at all so have to do this on my own.

We had similar problems with my first and it was 16 months of hell before she slept through.

Does anyone have any suggestions please as I'm in need of help, Thanks in advance.

xandrarama Wed 22-Jul-09 10:44:43

I'm afraid I have no useful suggestions for you, but wanted to offer my sympathy... sleep deprivation is awful and I really feel for you I am sure someone helpful will come along soon with some good ideas.

kazbeth Wed 22-Jul-09 14:43:49

Thanks xandrarama. We were doing so well up till now, she still wasn't sleeping during the day but at least she was at night.

KERALA1 Wed 22-Jul-09 14:47:47

I am a real supporter of breastfeeding but has she tried formula? Both mine at 6 months were exclusively breastfed but started losing weight and their sleeping went. Supplementing at night with formula for the last feed did help. For my babies from 6 months breast milk alone just wasn't enough sad.

kazbeth Wed 22-Jul-09 14:52:16

We've tried formula and expressed milk but she just won't take a bottle. So far we've tried avent and tommy tippee bottles and cow and gate and hipp formulas. I can barely express anything so have only tried that once so far.

She just sort of chews the teat but doesn't suck at all.

KERALA1 Wed 22-Jul-09 15:24:03

We had a similar struggle with dd1 she finally took a MAM bottle. Maybe persevere with that?

Can you bf while lying down? Perhaps send DH to a another bed and have her in with you so at least you can feed and doze at the same time?

You do have my sympathies no sleep is really tough.

BintOfBohemia Wed 22-Jul-09 15:32:28

Massive sympathies - I was in exactly the same boat until about a month ago. (DS is now 11 months.) I got to the point where I was quite literally going loop the loop as DS had never slept more than 4 hours in 10 months, and that was rare.

Ended up taking radical action; we sent DS1 (nearly 3) to my mother's for a week, put DS2 in his own room and I stopped feeding him between 7pm-7am. I felt bad about it but at that point my need was greater than his, and actually, I was surprised, he started sleeping through almost immediately and we didn't have to leave him to cry either.

It's all gone to pot again since he was ill last week but we're trying to get back on track now.

Is your daughter eating well in the day? That might give you the confidence to drop the night feeds if you choose to do the same thing. DS hasn't suffered for it at all.

It is the hardest thing having no sleep, I've just started on ADs because it screwed me up so badly.

ches Fri 24-Jul-09 04:22:32

6 month growth spurt. This too shall pass. She needs feeding. Kerala during the 6 month growth spurt they nurse more to increase supply and grow so much they can lose a bit of weight (but gain inches). Your babies would've been fine without the formula, but it probably saved you some abused nipples and let you sleep a bit more.

Other things which disrupt sleep in a 6 month old are:
- gross motor development
- learning object permanence (precursor to separation anxiety)
- teething
- starting weaning

kazbeth Mon 27-Jul-09 13:09:10

Thanks everyone.
We're already co-sleeping but she's just feeding so much. I find it hard to sleep with her right next to me as I get really uncomfortable as I can't roll over onto my other side. She sleeps in her cot right next to the bed (no side on it) and then in my bed later in the night/morning. That's what seemed to be working for a while until now anyway.

Not sure it's a growth spurt though as she was ok for a couple of days and slept about 5 hours but then last night didn't go to sleep until gone 4 and woke up again at 6:30 so I only had about 2 hours sleep again. I stood up and felt really dizzy and couldn't walk straight I was so tired so had to get my husband to take the day off. Can't keep doing that though

ches Tue 28-Jul-09 02:46:45

I would then assume it's teething and try some form of pain relief (whatever you're comfortable with... I went straight for ibuprofen). My rule was if he woke up 3 times before I went to bed he got dosed with the ibuprofen.

moondog Tue 28-Jul-09 06:46:00

Can you take them both to bed with you in the day? Close the curtains, cuddle up and snooze off. I did this a fair bit. The older child loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now