Talk

Advanced search

16 week baby waking during the night

(13 Posts)
Madigan Tue 14-Jul-09 14:14:15

My 16wo is waking for a feed during the night, despite the fact that she feeds extremely well during the day (and I do mean really really well - 8oz of hungry baby formula every 3.5 hours-4 hours, including at 11pm). She wakes at about 3.15am, and the last few nights I have just given her water and a dummy. She does settle back to sleep after about 30 mins but then wakes again by about 5 or 5.30 at which point I give her another feed. .... Then her older sister wakes at 6.30am and that's it for the day ... and I am exhausted.
Don't get me wrong - this is HEAVEN compared to what her sister was like (she woke every hour for the first 5 months) ... and maybe I am being selfish in wanting a good night's sleep ... but a lot of her little friends seem to be sleeping 11pm-6am no problem, and they are smaller than her.
What do you reckon??? Any tips? Should I or should I not use a dummy with her? Should I let her cry it out? Or should I simply feed her every time she wakes???

MrsJamin Tue 14-Jul-09 14:16:34

she's a baby. they feed in the night. that is normal. do not let her cry it out. if she is hungry then feed her. why wouldn't you?

PrincessToadstool Tue 14-Jul-09 14:19:38

16 weeks?

that you even mentioned CIO.

If she wakes for a feed, then give her a feed.

Madigan Tue 14-Jul-09 14:20:50

..... because I want her to learn to sleep through the night, without waking for a feed .... and the reason I want her to do that, is so I can begin to feel human again. She should be able to do at least 6 hours without a feed during the night, or so the books say. But maybe it;'s all a load of nonsense, and I should just keep feeding her every 3 hours.

Nemoandthefishes Tue 14-Jul-09 14:22:32

maybe if you fed her when she wakes at 3am then she might then go back to sleep until 6/7am like her sister?

Sidge Tue 14-Jul-09 14:27:08

The books are full of tripe smile

She is still very young, there is no "should" where babies and food are concerned. If she is hungry, feed her, whether that's every hour or every 5 hours.

I would imagine she's waking at 0315 because she's hungry - the water and dummy postpone her hunger hence why she wakes again.

If you feed her at 0315 she may well sleep then for another 4 hours or so.

seeker Tue 14-Jul-09 14:29:13

You're not selfish, but you maybe have unreal expectations. She has no wants that aren't also needs - if she wakes, feed her.

Madigan Tue 14-Jul-09 15:09:34

ok!!

nannynz Tue 14-Jul-09 19:28:34

Does she have a dream feed? What time does she go to bed for the night? How much and when does she sleep during the day? Does she settle herself to sleep. Are you able to get some sleep for yourself during the day? Have you any help for toddler/baby during the day?

I don't leave babies to cry it out but sometimes a little rejigging during the day helps them sleep longer at night. If you give me little more idea of her day time routine I may be able to offer some advice.

ches Wed 15-Jul-09 04:59:54

16 weeks is a classic age for a growth spurt. Please feed your hungry baby. It's dangerous to give water to a hungry baby who is on an exclusive diet of milk. They need their drinks to be nutritive and getting over-hydrated is dangerous. If you need more sleep, go to bed earlier. My DS woke >4 times a night for the first two years and I managed to work full time so I think you can cope with one night waking during a growth spurt.

ChicPea Tue 04-Aug-09 21:49:14

Hi Madigan, haven't been on here for ages but we spoke back in 2007. I see now you have another baby and I am delighted for you! We went to the same obstetrician and chatted quite a lot. Congratulations.

ChicPea Tue 04-Aug-09 21:50:09

PS Did you have a mat nurse for this one and how did you find the other one? thanks

hambo Tue 04-Aug-09 21:55:20

I don't think you are unreasonable - my DS has been sleeping 7pm - 7am since he was 5 months old, and that was with BF. His big brother went from 11 - 7am about the same time.

I think it may be a growth spurt too, but it is possible for babies to sleep through at this age and also I think it does depend on the attitude of the parent, (to an extent!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now