Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping on side

(10 Posts)
christiana Sun 12-Jul-09 17:23:15

Message withdrawn

pulapula Sun 12-Jul-09 21:41:08

My DS2 is nearly 9 weeks old and i always put him to sleep on his side as he doesn't seem to like his back either. Again, either with me in bed or in his cot (with a positioner). In his moses basket i used to use rolled up blankets on either side to prevent him rolling onto his front, although i have sometimes found him on his front which is a worry. I quite often put DD and DS1 to sleep on their sides too. You just have to consider the risks and whether you are OK with that.

PracticalCat Mon 13-Jul-09 14:54:25

I had DS abroad and the norm there was to sleep babies on their sides. I think the reasoning was that some new study had found the side safer than back, though I really don't know the details of this. But I trusted the paed, so went with what he recommended.

I placed DS between a wedgey thingy to prevent him from rolling on to his back or front. Side worked better for us as he had reflux and was always spewing. But as with anything, you need to do what makes you comfortable in terms of risk.

christiana Mon 13-Jul-09 19:37:47

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 19:45:08

hi christiana, all 3 of mine have slept on their sides.

ds1 had breathing problems and all the midwives in the hospital said it was ok to put him on the side if it helped him breathe a bit better.
it's safer than on their tummy, though not as safe as on the back.
as long as you wedge them in so they can't roll.

ds2 was a nightmare baby and just slept better on his side. quite frankly if he had wanted to sleep hanging by one leg from the ceiling i'd have let him lol

and ds3 seems to prefer it too.

a good thing about it is that they tend not to get a flat spot on the back of the head, or a bald patch. you need to alternate sides though

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 19:46:16

re the being sick thing. i was thinking about that the other day cos i thought really, back could be unsafe for a sicky baby in case they swallow it and choke surely???

but i don't know

blahdiblahblah Mon 13-Jul-09 19:52:16

I felt uncomfortable putting my baby to sleep on his back for that reason: if he got sick he wouldn't be able to spit it out. I also put a rolled up towel next to him so he couldn't roll onto his front. Also isn't there a risk of babies who only sleep on their backs getting flat heads?? (probably not but that is what I have heard!)

Mij Mon 13-Jul-09 20:04:43

Hey Christiana [waves from ante-natal thread]

Both mine have side slept while co-sleeping, and the both stay/stayed that way all night or only ever rolled on to their backs. I think I'd only do it while co-sleeping though, when I know I'm highly responsive to the baby.

I'm sure I've seen wedgey/positioning things before, and I'm considering one to see if DD2 will spend any time in a crib. Will come back if I find a brand name or something smile.

Mij Mon 13-Jul-09 20:10:07

Just found a load of products here

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 13-Jul-09 20:21:06

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now