Talk

Advanced search

6.5 week old not sleeping

(11 Posts)
Cuth Wed 08-Jul-09 09:32:16

Help My third baby (other 2 have been gina'ed)has dream feed at 10.30 and wakes at 12.30 and cries until 5 (seems half awake)when she goes into a peaceful sleep. She sleeps in a bedside cot and is definately not hungry as breastfeeding her at this time results in 5 mins sucking until she nods off. She will not take a dummy at night at all and gags on it. If she nods off I return her to cot and in about 3-5 mins she is tossing and turnign until she starts crying again and the same pattern continues. last night left her to settle herslf and got husband to pat pat shush and she cried for next 2 hours when i fed her again and then back to same cycle as one is too tired to cope with noise. Any help would be appreciated. Im at wits end. have had 2 nights with more than 1.5hrs sleep in one go since she was born and now at end of tether sad. I cant catch up during day as have a needy 3 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl.

HolyGuacamole Wed 08-Jul-09 21:17:03

Bump

nkf Wed 08-Jul-09 21:18:00

It will get better. Six and a half weeks is very young.

saintmaybe Wed 08-Jul-09 21:23:15

you could bring her in to sleep with you so you get some sleep? Some babies need to be not alone, I think. She's very little.

saintmaybe Wed 08-Jul-09 21:25:21

I mean, would she not wake up again if you didn't put her back in the cot?

nellie12 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:26:15

I have found (assuming they aren't hungry, bit constipated and just cyring in their sleep) to sleep with one hand resting on them. Has she got a special bear or blanket? - lifesavers in our house.

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 21:28:11

Do you swaddle her? That feeling of being tightly wrapped might make her feel more secure... Harvey Karp's 'Happiest Baby' book helped us enormously.

Cuth Thu 09-Jul-09 09:22:32

Hello, last night she woke screaming and sucked my finger like her life depended on it for 1.5hrs (still wont take dummy)seemed to have bouts of pain when she sucked more vigorously. Eventually brought her into bed and breast fed her and kept her there. I think she sucked on and off all night. I find it very diff to sleep with her im terrified i will roll on her. and just doze on and off waking in a panic to find her snuggled right in which scares me further. She seemed to be particularly windy last night and I wonder if its from the "snacking". She also seems to get very hot co sleeping.....Basically Im now so sleep deprived Im worrying about everything. Im going to try the docs today just to make sure she hasnt any tummy probs other than wind. It may be I just have to do the co sleeping thing.. I havent yet tried swaddling its been so damn hot but I will have a go tonight

ches Thu 09-Jul-09 13:30:40

She is going through a growth sprut and needs to eat. Even if it's just 5 minutes, it's probably 5 minutes of hind milk. You're clutching at straws going to the doctor for a magic pill to make your 6 week old baby act like a 9 month old baby.

aoifesmama Sun 12-Jul-09 22:20:43

I was totally like this at 6 weeks and was almost looking for a receipt to send DD back blush. She suffers from quite severe reflux which made it much harder. BUT at about 10 weeks she got much better, only waking up about every 2 - 3 hours, and now at 14 weeks she sleeps from about 12 - 6am. I know it wont help at the moment, but it will get much better x

Cuth Mon 13-Jul-09 08:30:09

Thanks Aoifesmama. Must say with fingers crossed dr recommended infant gaviscon and she woke once for a feed, no screaming. This has been the last three nights so I have finally had more than an hours sleep at a time and feel ready to take on the world. It looks like it was reflux which must be painful. We are now 7.5 weeks so roll on the magic 14 weeks.
I now know I can survive on snack sleep but not no sleep! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now