Talk

Advanced search

Tips for extending naps for tired baby!

(4 Posts)
spotofcheerfulness Fri 03-Jul-09 14:02:34

Hi all, wondering if anyone had any suggestions - DS is 6.5 months old, used to be able to sleep for 2 hours for his midday nap, now wakes crying after 45 mins and can't get himself back to sleep. I have been wheeling him in his pushchair to get him back to sleep where he will usually settle again but I would really love him to be able to get himself back to sleep. I wouldn't mind if he awoke after 45 mins full of beans but he is just exhausted and crotchety all afternoon if I can't walk him round for at least another hour.
I am concerned that this is getting a proper case of a "prop", he also wakes up in the night now and can't settle himself back to sleep.
I tried to do a version of PuPd but that just made him really upset and exhausted, have tried dummy but he screams and spits it out, have tried feeding in case he's hungry, checking he's not got a dirty nappy etc.
I don't want to leave him to cry but also can't believe that wheeling him round in his pushchair every day is the only solution! Any ideas gratefully received.

sleepsforwimps Fri 03-Jul-09 23:52:34

Have you tried a sling? Also could he be teething? Those damn toothypegs are nothing but trouble for some babies. My ds had 8 by the time he was 9 months, he was really unsettled just before each one popped through, really affected his sleep/naps.

spotofcheerfulness Sat 04-Jul-09 21:08:55

Thanks SIFW, bit hot for a sling but you're right about the teething, he seems to have been teething for ages (weeks and weeks) with no actual tooth to show for it!

sleepsforwimps Mon 06-Jul-09 00:05:20

I carry my baby in a sling everyday, I find it an absolute godsend, not sure why it being hot would stop anyone using a sling? Anyway hope some teeth appear for your ds soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now