Talk

Advanced search

5:10 am waking again

(9 Posts)
rena Mon 16-May-05 07:19:13

hi, I'm new here! Having major early waking problems with my one year old and noticed what some said in a thread in April about moving morning sleep later. Wondering how to do that without afternoon nap getting later and later too? He was waking at 6:30 for ages then suddenly 5:15 - 5:30 for last two weeks or so. Been trying to push sleep till later for two days. Yesterday took him back to bed with me for extra 45 mins then he slept from 12:30 ish to 1:15 ish in afternoon, but he woke this morning at 4:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!! He is really tired by the time I get him to bed at 7:30. I think I have just made things worse. Maybe it will take me a week to get him back to waking at 5:30? What do you think?

Our black out blinds do have light coming in at the sides. Read thread about blackout blinds and think I must try the card in the window technique, but I love having daylight in his room in the daytime.

Almost paid the £40 to join gina fords web help!! But can't afford it. Getting desperate as gone back to work 3 days.
Cheers
Rena
xx

rena Mon 16-May-05 07:19:14

hi, I'm new here! Having major early waking problems with my one year old and noticed what some said in a thread in April about moving morning sleep later. Wondering how to do that without afternoon nap getting later and later too? He was waking at 6:30 for ages then suddenly 5:15 - 5:30 for last two weeks or so. Been trying to push sleep till later for two days. Yesterday took him back to bed with me for extra 45 mins then he slept from 12:30 ish to 1:15 ish in afternoon, but he woke this morning at 4:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!! He is really tired by the time I get him to bed at 7:30. I think I have just made things worse. Maybe it will take me a week to get him back to waking at 5:30? What do you think?

Our black out blinds do have light coming in at the sides. Read thread about blackout blinds and think I must try the card in the window technique, but I love having daylight in his room in the daytime.

Almost paid the £40 to join gina fords web help!! But can't afford it. Getting desperate as gone back to work 3 days.
Cheers
Rena
xx

elsmommy Mon 16-May-05 07:51:03

Will he not go back to sleep in your bed for a bit? My little terror wakes up at 5ish then she'll have another hour in my bed most days.

Harrie Mon 16-May-05 11:46:54

Hello, my daughter used to wake early and we always went in to her and gave her the dummy back (early morning give in really) She then knew that everytime she woke early one of us would take the dummy so it became a habit (I blame my husband as he always went to her, I just had to carry it on) Anyway I had had enough and decided to just leave her when she woke, for a few mornings she cried for a while but nothing awful then she started going back to sleep. Now 12 months on she still occassionally wakes early but she will have a chat to herself, maybe shout me once then drift back of to sleep. If he is not having a very long afternoon sleep maybe try to drop the morning sleep so he has just one big sleep at lunch, then ready for bed at 7ish. Trial and error I suppose, but this worked for me.

rena Wed 18-May-05 06:49:18

He will only go back to sleep if I breast feed him on the bed, but I am giving up!! So that really isn't an option. He is back to waking at 5.10 as I put his day sleeps back to normal.Have been leaving him till 6 am to see what would happen. Plenty of toys in the cot. But, he just cyrs on and off so far. Been three mornings I've been doing this and this morning he is quite hoarse. I really need the sleep though. Can't function without it much longer!! Do you think he will get the hint and play quitely soon?
Blessings
Rena
xx

jambot Wed 18-May-05 19:35:45

Know it sounds strange but you should try putting him to bed earlier than 7:30. Worked with my little one. Not sure why it works when you would naturally presume that the later to bed the later they will sleep, but there's apparently some scientific explanation behind it. The fact that he is very tired when he goes to bed actually makes matters worse - something to do with some chemical level in the body. Will look for the book at home that I read this in. Mine now goes down at 6:45 and she sleeps till between 6:30 and 7:15

Mel06 Thu 19-May-05 12:44:16

Hi Rena. My DD is nearly 11ths and since the clocks changed she had been waking between 4-5am but was still tired and it took ages for her to settle back down to sleep. Her room had black out blinds and a curtain but the light came through the sides. I blocked out the light coming in from the sides and I also bought black out curtain lining. Funny how that night she slept from 7pm - 7am, and most nights since.
I would try the black out linings to see if that helps. Good luck.

hermykne Thu 19-May-05 12:55:39

rena what are his day naps like? and when does he go to bed?
u might have to ignore and go cold turkey on the breast feed, at one he knows how to win u over so it maybe a case of a hard habit to break

mummylonglegs Thu 19-May-05 18:31:33

Is he only sleeping for 45 mins in the day then, rena? If so he could be drastically over-tired by bedtime which means they sleep very heavily before midnight then wake early. If there's no way of extending his day sleep, why not put him to bed at 6.30pm and see how that works? If he still wakes at 5am you haven't lost anything as you'll have had a longer evening plus he'll be less tired.

Does he seem tired incidentally? There's a chance he's one of those kids who need little sleep?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now