Talk

Advanced search

DD (5 months) is still wide awake, what's going on??

(5 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 29-Jun-09 21:49:25

She was really sleepy at around 7pm so I fed her as normal and put her to bed. She was rubbing her eyes and sucking her thumb as though she was about to fall asleep but kept half sleeping and then waking and crying.

Thought she was hot so stripped her off to her nappy but still no sleep.

Then thought she actually too hot and maybe feeling unwell so gave calpol.

Then she was frantically chewing her hand so I thought teething and gave her teething powder.

Still waking up crying every ten minutes or so. Have tried to rock her to sleep but she's now wide awake and smiling!

Now showing no signs of being upset or being tired. How can this be? She hasn't slept since she had half an hours nap at 3.30pm!

notperfectmum Mon 29-Jun-09 23:12:59

It could well be the heat. Do you have a fan to could put in her room? Don't let it blow directly onto her better if it just wafts over her.

As she seems to have gone past her sleep, I'd take her downstairs as it should be cooler now (sorry assuming you're in a house) and with the lighs on low, just talk quietly to her and do what you would normally do to settle her and she may well start to get tired. At the moment she may be picking up on your fustration.

Good luck!

sleepycat Mon 29-Jun-09 23:13:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarrelOfMonkeys Tue 30-Jun-09 09:07:30

Our DD (6 mo) has been just the same for the past 2 nights. Haven't found a magic solution other than doing it in half hour shifts with DH to save sanity. Only upside was that after finally going down at 10.30pm on Sunday night, the Monday naps were amazing!

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 30-Jun-09 17:02:56

Thanks. I thought it might be the heat - I did put a fan near her as well but it didn't make any difference, maybe it was too late by then! I took her downstairs and she eventually went to sleep on my lap at about 10.30pm. She then woke at 2am and then was up for the day at 5am! Its quite unusual for her as she's lately been quite a good sleeper (she'd wake in the night sometimes for a feed, but then get back to sleep quite easily afterwards). Its my second day back at work today after maternity leave and I'm soooo tired!

Doesn't help that DS (2.10 yrs) doesn't seem himself either, my poor mum is looking after them today and said he has cried most of the day. Think it must be a combination of knowing I'm at work, DD being with him (my mum normally has him on his own) and the heat making him feel a bit uncomfortable.

Hope I get a bit more sleep tonight though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now