Talk

Advanced search

is there a 'safe' pillow for a baby?

(10 Posts)
mrsjuan Fri 26-Jun-09 16:21:14

My DD is now 6 weeks old and when she is napping in the day I often place her on a pillow or cushion - obviously where I can see her either in her pram or on the floor. She sleeps so well and looks so comfy that I wish I could use a similar arrangement overnight. She 'sleeps' in her moses basket but doesn't settle particularly well.
Is there anyway I can make her bed softer without putting her at risk of suffocating?

Chulita Fri 26-Jun-09 18:31:41

Maybe try folding a pram blanket and putting it under the moses basket sheet, that would give a bit of softness but still be safe. She might settle better simply because her head's raised and if she's a bit snuffly like little babies often are, she'll be able to breathe better. You could try propping one end of the basket up a little bit and see if that makes a difference. DD at that age slept well on my maternity beanbag cos she needed to be slightly sitting up rather than flat on her back.

ches Sat 27-Jun-09 02:32:19

At this age if she's sleeping better on a pillow it's because she's more upright. Wee ones have reflux (normal, not GERD) and a bit of elevation helps. Pillows are not good because of the SIDS risk and also because their heads are so much bigger, proportionally, that a pillow could do harm. There is a "sleep wedge" you can buy which has good air flow. http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/sleepingpositions.html

EachPeachPearMum Sat 27-Jun-09 03:56:33

In Sweden. all babies use pillows from birth. Goigoi is the brand- you can get them in UK and they do a small size for cribs/baskets.

miniandme Sat 27-Jun-09 19:12:31

Yip we had goigoi pillows for both the twins. They are designed to prevent flat head syndrome so are safe from birth,out 2 had little teeny ones for their pram from a couple of weeks old and now at 17mths have the bigger ones in their cots.Incidentley it also done wonders for their mishapen heads.If you google goigoi pillows you will find their website from which they can be ordered direct.

amidaiwish Sat 27-Jun-09 19:14:25

this one is ok for babies
or this head support babymoov

i have a free delivery code for this website if useful - KF1ZZ140

internationaldad Thu 04-Mar-10 15:23:46

Are the baby pillows you see at Mamas and Papas safe to use? or should you still stick with no pillow for new borns?

elk4baby Thu 04-Mar-10 17:34:57

We've used Clevamama memory foam pillow from birth (my DS is now 10.5 months) and we're really happy with it! He didn't settle well without it and seems so much more comfortable with it. It's suitable from birth, so no worries there.
Now, there's an added benefit - he perceives it as a 'sleep' signal. When he had to stay a night in hospital, it was the only thing that brought him comfort (well, other than my breast)

Emochild Sat 13-Aug-16 23:35:03

Ok so I know this is a zombie thread but....

I was talking to my friend today who has a 5wk old baby
Said she's seen a baby pillow in Argos that is supposed to prevent flat head and was asking me if I had used one with my dc

Mine are teenagers and the advice when they were small was no pillows until 12 months

The nhs website says no pillows until 12 months

Yet a large national retailer is selling a pillow that claims to be suitable from birth

Have I missed something?

Emochild Sat 13-Aug-16 23:37:48

Oh and it's the clevamama one -google search brought up this thread

Hence the resurrection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now