Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Waking at 3-4 am every morning....any ideas?

(11 Posts)
jbadgirl Sat 14-May-05 20:27:14

Ds is now 6 and a half months old and he wakes every morning between 3 and 4 am. I get him into bed with us and most of the time he will fall back to sleep but other times if he seems hungry i get up and feed him.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

He sleeps in our room in his cot btw

beansprout Sat 14-May-05 20:42:53

Hmmm, this sounds familiar. If you don't have to feed him every time, this tells you that he can sleep through. We had similar with ds. I made sure he was getting enough milk during the day and especially before bed. I also still dream feed him. I then assumed that he was waking up out of habit, so I felt that I needed to stop rewarding his waking and instead of picking him up (he wasn't crying, just awake and wanting us to go to him), we just gave him a dummy. He soon twigged that this was not really worth waking up for and he started to sleep through after only a few nights of this. Also, dp went instead of me as I was convinced ds could smell milk on me and would then want some.

So, in short, don't reward him for waking up, don't take him in with you if you can. I know it is tempting if it is the only thing that works or hey, because it is just so nice to have them snuggled next to you but it is worth waking up for him.

HTH and good luck!

biglips Sat 14-May-05 20:49:16

jbad - mine was doing that when she was 5 months old and did it for 5 weeks till i introduced her a third solid meal and now sleeps thru (but the mo she is on solids strike so she is waking me up again!)

Had she been like that since she started on solids?

biglips Sat 14-May-05 20:50:11

plus i dont pick baba up since she scream

jbadgirl Sat 14-May-05 21:00:40

Thanks beansprout and biglips x

Ds is on 3 solids a day now! His milk intake has reduced which i think is normal?

I try and leave him till he starts crying but its hard cos of work etc.

We are hoping to move soon so ds will have his own room then it may make it easier.

biglips Sat 14-May-05 21:02:35

for me.... for every solid meal she have, she have 5oz milk with it and she is happy but imstarting tonight to put baba in her own bedroom (fingers cross for me and you)

lalaa Sat 14-May-05 21:05:11

Is it getting light then?
Birds singing and window open?
Happened to me for 7 weeks last year until I slept in dd's room and realised that nesting sparrows were right outside her (open) bedroom window. They were deafening!

biglips Sat 14-May-05 21:06:28

lalaa - poor chil, no wonder as esp sparrows they are bloody noisy as hell

biglips Sat 14-May-05 21:06:44

correction - poor child

jbadgirl Sat 14-May-05 21:12:57

We keep the window shut normally so no birds!!! but im not sure if its getting light i just hop back into bed then fall back to sleep!!!!

lalaa Sat 14-May-05 21:24:42

Couldn't believe that I'd had 7 weeks of broken sleep just because of some bloody birds....

When you get up to him, take a look at the light situation. If necessary, you could do blackout blinds a la Gina Ford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now