Talk

Advanced search

DD will not settle to sleep if put down awake - help

(5 Posts)
littleduck Sat 20-Jun-09 22:29:55

DD is 7 weeks old. I have been feeding her to sleep - not a decision I ever consciously made but it has just happened that way, she is not cuddled or rocked to sleep and we have not tried a dummy. The advice from HV, books, friends is that she should be put down for sleeps both day and night whilst she is still awake and that she should be woken up before putting down if she is asleep. The aim being for her to be able to settle herself to sleep and not become dependent on the boob (which I guess she kind of is already). It is now getting to the stage where she is starting to wake up again between 10 and 45 mins after I have managed to settle her wanting to suck some more to get back to sleep.

I have tried putting her down before she gets too sleepy and waking her but both end in screaming. I have tried cuddling her and saying shhh and gently patting her back but neither of these work to settle her.

I am also worried because I hear she should remain awake after feeding to do some sort of activity and then go to sleep but if she does any activity after feeding she is just too alert to go to sleep. Again cuddling, shhh-ing, bouncy chairs don't work to settle her and I can't seem to wind her down.

Any tips?

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Jun-09 22:34:16

my tip is to go with the flow! especially with such a teeny baby.
it[s fine to feed to sleep, it really is.

ds2 was always fed to sleep and it's never ever been a problem. he is 20 months now and goes to bed just fine by himself.

if yiou are happy feeding her to sleep, and it[s orking for you both then just stick with itl
far more hassle and upset for both of you if you try sleep trqaining

MatNanPlus Sat 20-Jun-09 22:35:52

She is very young, i would jiggle her rather than fully wake her when putting her to bed after a feed so she is in a light sleep level so will be aware of change ie, cooler bed than arms.

She will spend more time awake as she gets older, if she just wants to eat and sleep then no worries but she will start to be awake for a few minutes + and then activity can just be you smiling and chatting not a full on activity

ches Mon 22-Jun-09 03:27:15

Never wake a sleeping baby. Breast milk makes them sleepy and it's almost impossible to STOP them falling asleep while nursing. She's waking up wanting to suck because she's starting a growth spurt. Feed her. Worry about sleep training from 4-6 months onwards. (Or not at all.)

Milsy Fri 26-Jun-09 22:39:49

There's a post on how to put your baby to sleep awake on the blog http://www.sleepytot.com which I found useful.

But at 7 weeks I agree with everyone else. Very young. Awww.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now