Talk

Advanced search

does anyone have a dd and ds that share a room?

(14 Posts)
paranoidmother Fri 19-Jun-09 22:15:19

My DD 4 almost 5 and DS 2 almost 3 share a bedroom and have for the last 2 and a bit years. We don't have a spare room so they will always have to share but I wondered whether anyone else's dc's shared and what type of thing I'm going to come up against. We're in an area that we can't afford to get a house with 3 bedrooms in.

We had thought to swap rooms with the dc's as our room is more of a square and we could perhaps put a curtain down part of the room to give them their own space and also let them have a mid sleeper cabin bed each to, so they have their own desk, bookshelf and drawers. If we're lucky we might be able to fit in a wardrobe but there might not be space. Neither room is very big really and we can't fit a wardrobe in either room at present.

Would like your advice and experience if possible.

TIA

AnotherFineMess Fri 19-Jun-09 22:22:46

Hi PM, I have same age gap as you, but mine are younger, DD 4, DS 2...soooo, not sure I can help as you've already gone past the stage we're in.

However, I'm really glad they share, they get on really well and I'm sure that being in the same room helps.

They have bunk beds and share a wardrobe and large chest of drawers at the moment. DH & I have also decided to do what you have thought about - we'll swap rooms when they get a bit older so that they can have half each - we were going to buy a couple of those tri-fold screens or pinch a big display board thing on wheels from church wink

My only other thought is that we have considered looking into a loft conversion - could that work for you?

ZipadiSoozi Fri 19-Jun-09 22:27:18

I have 5yo twins b/g

They are getting ready to be separated, although most of the time they are fine and sooooo close, but ds has started saying he doesn't want to look at his ds at night, I told him to turn over, but he says he gets bored looking at the wall, if only he realised, if he was asleep he doesn't actually have to look at her.

So cute arn't they! hmm

We have mid-sleepers either side of room, their toys underneath beds, clothes are in our room, like you say no room for wardrobes!

We are going to get a curtain to separate room, which is only 9ft square anyway. But further down the line, maybe floor to ceiling sliding wardrobe doors out of our room and we'll get new ones, no room for a wall!

Good luck!

ZipadiSoozi Fri 19-Jun-09 22:29:01

sorry meant ds doesn't want to look at his dsis blush

tassisssss Fri 19-Jun-09 22:29:28

My ds (6) happily shares with his wee sister (she'll be 3 in September). We have 3 bedrooms but our baby's currently in the 3rd one. We swapped bedrooms and gave the older 2 our bedroom when I was pregnant so they can fit all their toys in there too. Dd has just this week moved from her cot into the bottom bunk which is cute. The plan was that when our baby girl was a bit bigger we'd have the girls in together and our son would have his own room, but when I suggested this recently he thought they could just all 3 share so we might do that for a while.

ZipadiSoozi Fri 19-Jun-09 22:32:41

Is there an age where its recommended to have separate rooms! (thats us stuffed)

paranoidmother Fri 19-Jun-09 22:38:54

thank you.

We can't do loft conversion as the age and type of house we're in just wouldn't stand up to it. Also the ceilings in all the rooms are about 6ft 6ins maximum height so bunk beds don't fit, mid-sleepers are the highest we can have. I think i'll look into a screen rather than curtain to go into the room when they start to get picky. Luckily the window is in the middle of the room so they'd get half each.

At the moment they don't seem to mind sharing which is fine by me. It was just more what might I come across.

I wonder if there is an age where they are suppose to be separated? hmm

hester Fri 19-Jun-09 22:39:40

I shared with my brother till 10. Isn't it generally thought best to separate at puberty?

foxinsocks Fri 19-Jun-09 22:41:37

mine are 8 (dd) and 7 (ds) about to be 9 and 8 and they have just gone back into the same room.

They were together for years but we separated them for the last year or so (we only have 2.5 bedrooms so put ds in the box room in a bunk bed but it is v small)

for the last couple of months, they have wanted to be together again so have been squashing into the bunk beds in the box room!

I don't think there's ever been an issue with them sharing tbh

niche Fri 19-Jun-09 22:47:16

I currently have ds1/dd1 (6/4) in one large bedroom and b/g dts (2) in another smaller room, ds3 (1) in my room.

None of the dcs mind sharing, but recently ds1 has been having friends over who mock him for having girls toys in his room. He also wants to have friends over to stay but we don't have the space.

My aim will be to eventually have a girls & boys room with ds1 having his own room.

ZipadiSoozi Fri 19-Jun-09 23:12:05

Wow niche - what alot of children for you to sort sleeping arrangements! shockgrin

niche Fri 19-Jun-09 23:36:53

yup ZS, not so bad in my current rental but last one was a really tiny 3 bed, would have another bedroom if my mum ever moved out but that's another story....hmm.

ches Sat 20-Jun-09 04:39:16

I think you'll know it's time to separate them when you can't get the older one out of the bathroom. (Only room in the house they can have some privacy if sharing a room.)

SofiaAmes Sat 20-Jun-09 06:08:46

My ds (8) and my dd (6) share a room. They are best friends and love playing with each other. There are occasional hiccups like when dd wants to listen Hannah Montana CD's full blast at bedtime and ds just wants to read and sleep. They really love being together and I think they'll be ok for a few more years, but definitely not forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now