Talk

Advanced search

I need to sleep train 5yo dd but its going to be tricky

(8 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 08:08:08

Message withdrawn

flamingobingo Fri 19-Jun-09 08:09:47

I know there's a rational answer for this question, but just to help with ideas - why can't you get up again once she's asleep?

EffiePerine Fri 19-Jun-09 08:11:46

Gradual withdrawal? i.e. v v slowly going from cuddling her to sleep to sitting next to her then shifting your chair nearer to the door?

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 08:18:59

Message withdrawn

flamingobingo Fri 19-Jun-09 08:23:57

I'm a bit confused - can't you cuddle her 'in situ'?

Anyway, what we did with our big girls when we got fed up of cuddling them to sleep, was to choose some audio books with them for them to listen to. Then we said nowt at all about self-settling, just said to them to please lie in bed quietly listening to the cd while we got on with a few things and then pottered around upstairs so they could here us and popped in to check on them every now and then.

Would that work? How much does she understand?

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 08:34:42

Message withdrawn

flamingobingo Fri 19-Jun-09 08:38:02

ours are cd. Don't say 'time for bed'. Say 'let's go to bed now' then cuddle up with her, with cd on (distracts from listening to darkness iyswim) then say 'i've just got to go to loo - you lie here still and i'll be back in a sec'. then go back. Next night say 'i'm just going to sort out some of this laundry quickly in the other room - i'll come in in a minute'...

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 08:41:40

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now