Talk

Advanced search

Ok for a 5 month old to have a muzzy in bed to help her get off to sleep

(11 Posts)
herbgarden Tue 16-Jun-09 21:49:00

DD is 5months old and started with a dummy which I took away at about 13 weeks when she seemed to be finding her fingers to help her sleep and she was getting much calmer in the dayand is now a chilled smiley baby.

At night and at nap times she puts her sleeve up to her mouth and sort of sucks on it (doesn't put it in) if she's got something short sleeved on I'll put a muzzy in with her and she'll put her nose and mouth up to it and make the little sucking noise.

DS always sucked his thumb from about 14 weeks and then wanted a muzzy from about 8 months or so.

Is it ok for a 5month old to have a muzzy in bed. I'm worried about her suffocating or something but she seems to find comfort in nuzzling up to it.

cornsilk Tue 16-Jun-09 21:50:33

What's a muzzy? Is it a blanket? I tied a knot in my ds's so that it wouldn't cover his face but he could still cuddle it.

herbgarden Tue 16-Jun-09 21:53:33

sorry yes a muslin.

Aha that's a good idea...sure I could know the muslin - you lot are genius sometimes grin

herbgarden Tue 16-Jun-09 21:53:54

I mean "knot" of course......

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:11

DS's both had muzzies, DS2 still has his.

DS1 cuddled his
DS2 sucks his like a dummy
trying to crack it now though because he is 2.5 years old!

it is also great because we give him a clean one each day so no loyalty to a particular thing.

Mutt Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herbgarden Tue 16-Jun-09 21:59:25

DS sleeps on 15 of the damn things (like a pillow) and he's 3 next month but I suppose I was just worried about her age and safety. I never wanted mine to have a soft toy they could lose as I'm hopeless with anything like that - keys, glasses etc I lose all the time let alone something on which their life depends !.....what age did the dependency start ??

BigusBumus Tue 16-Jun-09 22:07:33

Both my DSs have had them starting off at about 4 months. DS1 started to suck any material to hand like the edge of his Grobag etc so i just gave him a muslin and they have always been called Kiki's in our house. They do stink though after a day of sucking. He had about 10 of them and they were washed daily and clean ones given. When he was about 4 we tie-died them all different colours for him and he finally gave them up around Christmas this year! (He's 6).

I was determined that DS2 wouldn't have them, as DS1 used to get a scabby chin a lot from them, but lo and behold he started the sucking thing too and in the end it was easier to give him one.

I think they are fine and cause no problems, why withhold something that gives pleasure and comfort??

Sorry, just realised i have waffled on all about my own family and not answered your question! I was a tad worried about suffication, but really as they just lie on their backs at that age theres not really much of a risk.

herbgarden Wed 17-Jun-09 14:22:06

Thanks - yes I'm all for giving them a comforter. My DS has always had his thumb and muzzy - I was more concerned about the safety issue......I like the tying a knot in it idea though.

fizzpops Wed 17-Jun-09 14:41:38

I was worried about this with my DD as (now)she sleeps on her tummy and bunches the muslin up around her face so I tend to pull it away from her face a little bit once she is asleep.

When she was a lot smaller I used to take it away altogether as I was worried it would get wrapped around her neck or something, but if she woke up she found it harder to settle herself without it.

If you are nervous work up to it gradually but I am sure it is fine.

Honeybarbara Fri 28-Aug-09 16:57:22

My dd (7) is still totally addicted to muzzy at night. She loves it with a passion!

I find it quite repulsive now (it goes right in her mouth) but just can't muster the courage to confiscate it. Has anyone done this successfully?

Or do you think she will just grow out of it?

On the plus side, it hasn't affected her teeth, whereas ds's thumb sucking definitely has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now