Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping in same room until 6 months?

(6 Posts)
Merlin Wed 11-May-05 12:08:40

This is in the news again today, but I wonder why is it safer for a child to be in a cot in the parents room, than in a cot in another room with a monitor? My DS2 is 4 weeks and am thinking of putting him into his own room in the next month (DS1 was in his room at 1 month). We have the Angelcare monitor (which detects if breathing stops) so I can't see a problem. Can anyone enlighten me?

Merlin Wed 11-May-05 12:14:09

bump

mogwai Wed 11-May-05 12:25:59

we had this sort of discussion on this board recently recently. I also can't see what the difference is. Some mums thought it was safer because the baby can hear you breathing and this helps regulate their own breathing. It puzzles me more because how do they regulate their breathing if they are napping during the day away from you?

See previous threads "tiny baby in big cot"
and "polite replies please" when I was trying to work the issue out. Some of the comments were helpful, others less than helpful!

hope this helps

WigWamBam Wed 11-May-05 12:29:50

I can't see what the difference is either, except that maybe you sleep more lightly when the baby is in the room with you and making noises. My dd was in her own room right from the start, and I would happily do that again.

Merlin Wed 11-May-05 12:33:59

Thanks mogwai and WWB - sorry was too lazy to search but will read the other threads now! My gut feeling is to do the same as I did with DS1, but it just made me think again when I heard it all on the news. Glad that I'm not the only one that is puzzled!

mears Wed 11-May-05 12:41:44

Here is a link

The study says that the reasons why babies are less likely to die in the parents room are not clear, but it was a finding that it was less likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now