Talk

Advanced search

do you change a toddler's nappy in the night?

(16 Posts)
jellybelly25 Wed 10-Jun-09 16:05:15

dd2 is 2.1 and is just getting to the age where she wets less often but very heavily when she does. Often wakes with nappy like a water bomb and this morning her nappy was sodden, her pjs were all wet and it had woken her at 6am when she actually needs more sleep than that.

I have thought about changing her before we go to bed - she usually wakes around midnight anyway so I could just use that opportunity, but I wonder if she will come to expect it at other points during the night?

Any thoughts?

geordieminx Wed 10-Jun-09 16:07:49

put a booster pad in - you get them from boots, and are meant for re-useables?

bohemianbint Wed 10-Jun-09 16:08:36

Nope, we never have done that unless it's been absolutely necessary, ie they're upset by it or done something horrendous in there. Did occasionally have some leakage though but never seemed a problem and he slept through despite it, which was more important to us! grin

blinks Wed 10-Jun-09 16:11:21

we resolved with number 2 that there would be no night changes for wee alone.

at that age you could use pull ups and lift her and take her to potty or loo when you go to bed

Wedgie Wed 10-Jun-09 16:47:17

Jellybelly25, I have the same problem. DS is 21 months and seems to be weeing for England. He is managing about 11 hours sleep which is great but when he wakes up in the morning he's soaked through. I don't want to discourage him from sleeping that long but like you, I don't want to get into the routine of waking him up. The nappy like a water bomb is well funny. When he has a full wet nappy we call it a 'Wogan' (remember when Terry Wogan had those moleskin trousers on which bulged?). Sorry I digress....

It's only just started happening this week but already I'm on the third bedsheet! Is this a sign that I should start getting him on the potty do you think? His nursery don't want to know though and they think he's too young.

meep Wed 10-Jun-09 16:58:20

loving the "waterbomb" description. Dd1 always makes me laugh as she toddles out of her room with her nappy practically dragging on the floor behind her!

Have you gone up a nappy size? It can help so long as it isn't so big that it allows leg leakage.

geordieminx Wed 10-Jun-09 17:00:51

Not too young to put a potty on the floor and let him have naked time.

Unless child is super skinny I would say size 5 nappies?

bohemianbint Wed 10-Jun-09 17:05:17

Lol @ Wogan - we've always called it a codpiece here... hmm

FenellaFudge Wed 10-Jun-09 17:06:47

Yes, I change his nappy when I'm going to bed - usually 12-1.
Ds is a good sleeper though, goes to sleep and not a peep til morning. He just lets me get on with it.
We have only had a couple of leaky nights but I'm a bit anal so have just got into the habit of doing this.
If he was a tricky sleeper though, and I risked waking or disturbing his sleep then I wouldn't bother.

porgie Wed 10-Jun-09 17:17:54

yup, he got used to me changing him when i went to bed, didn't even wake up.

deakin82 Wed 10-Jun-09 18:36:51

yes i have a two yr old and he use to wake up in the morning with a really full nappy. so i started putting pull ups on him and waking him just before we went to bed to sit on the potty and then put him straight back to bed, sometimes he has a wee sometimes he doesnt but at least he is getting use to the fact that if he needs a wee in the night he has to get up and use the potty. and his nappy is a lot lighter in the morning.wink

Greensleeves Wed 10-Jun-09 18:37:36

hell no, I wouldn't wake a sleeping toddler unless the house was on fire

deakin82 Wed 10-Jun-09 18:45:52

yes i have a two yr old and he use to wake up in the morning with a really full nappy. so i started putting pull ups on him and waking him just before we went to bed to sit on the potty and then put him straight back to bed, sometimes he has a wee sometimes he doesnt but at least he is getting use to the fact that if he needs a wee in the night he has to get up and use the potty. and his nappy is a lot lighter in the morning.wink

jellybelly25 Wed 10-Jun-09 21:51:08

hmmm a fairly even split! we are not actively potty training yet but will do when the schools break up for summer and we dont' have to go anywhere first thing in morning. At that point I'd happily put a potty in the room but at the moment I dont' think she'd a) notice and b) go for it. She is currently very happy to sit on it and look impressed with herself but very rarely wees on it.

She's in size 5 and has been for a while but I recently bought Huggies instead of pampers and they seem bigger somehow, around the legs especially. Perhaps I should go back to the pampers? I bought loads of them tho cos they were on offer! She's pretty small but not especially skinny wink bit like me really grin

the wogan/codpiece grin wedgie i think pre-2 is quite young but it can't hurt to get a potty and have him sit on it a bit to get used to it.

I'm still not sure really what to do she's not an excellent sleeper so I am torn between not wanting to disturb her unnecessarily and not wanting to leave her in a sopping wet nappy/pjs if that is contributing to her waking, does that make sense?

jellybelly25 Wed 10-Jun-09 21:52:34

I will try the boosters though as I have some from when she was in cloth nappies. Thanks for responses!

ches Fri 12-Jun-09 05:24:31

I ALWAYS changed DS's nappy when he woke in the night. Had to in the beginning (bf poo explosion) and as he was reverse cycling, he's wet through four nappies in a night. He potty trained by 18 months though. First thing in the morning is the perfect time to sit her on the potty; she'll wee whether she wants to or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now