Talk

Advanced search

11 wk old makes loud straining noises in sleep from 3am every night...

(5 Posts)
Mooles Wed 10-Jun-09 11:08:10

My almost 11 wo DS makes loud, long straining noises in his sleep from about 3am every night.

If left unattended he wakes himself up and becomes very unsettled, needing feeding to settle (despite usually having been fed at 1 or 2 am which makes me think it's not hunger that's waking him)

We end up inserting and reinserting the dummy every 5 - 10 minutes (sometimes 20 if we're very lucky!) until he really does wake up at which time I feed him.

Does anyone else have this problem and / or any advice to offer...?

LucyBucy Wed 10-Jun-09 21:38:52

Yes! I have this prob with my 6wk old - from 5am every morning. I find that that if I prop her for a bit she settles down - it's usually her bowels or a burp...

L x

MegBusset Wed 10-Jun-09 21:45:16

Yes, DS2 (6 weeks) does this from about 4/5am. Generally will be accompanied (eventually) by lots of farting/pooing sounds, then he settles down again after half an hour or so (if I'm lucky!). I do offer the boob just in case he's hungry (sometimes is, sometimes not) and give a good burp and cuddle.

radstar Wed 10-Jun-09 22:04:27

My ds (same age) does this too, he always has done, I don't know why and it did concern me a bit but I was told newborns did it. I try not to worry and if he doesn't settle, feed him. The dummy does help if its wind pains.

Mooles Thu 11-Jun-09 11:06:04

Thanks so much for your replies, it's good to know it's 'normal'..I think! Will try the propping up thing as I do wonder if it's wind as often when I feed him before bed or in the night he gets so sleepy that it's impossible to wind him properly.
Last night I just offered a boob without bothering with the dummy charade and although he barely fed (so obviously wasn't ravenous) it settled him back to sleep quite quickly - reluctant to get him in the habit of snacking at night though...yet tempting to do this to avoid the up-and-down-20-times thing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now