Talk

Advanced search

Swaddling 12 week old baby

(6 Posts)
DiabloCody Tue 09-Jun-09 15:10:57

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would have advice regarding swaddling a 12w old baby.

I have been swaddling every night since he was born- it feels very restrictive now as he is starting to be quite mobile. I feel he gets very angry everytime I do it but in a few minutes he is sound sleep.

Until when it is recommended to swaddle babies?

TIA

pulapula Tue 09-Jun-09 15:54:42

I did it with my DD until 5 months i think, and with DS until 8 or 9 months. If you want to stop, just give it a go (either i arm out or something). Whenever i tried with mine at first, they had difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep so i just kept swaddling. With DD we stopped when we realised she wanted to hold something in her hand and suck her thumb. With DS, he was quite happy being swaddled up.

Sorry, no magic answer- stop if you want to, or you can carry on for some months to come...

bellygot2go Tue 09-Jun-09 18:45:50

With ds1 i swaddled until he could get out of it. Ds2- now 12weeks - I swaddled (loosly) until a couple of weeks ago. had is first imms and was ill so came in our bed again. Now he sleeps on his front in a sleeping/gro bag.

You should follow your child behaviour, ie, if you think he has had enough be led by him

bellygot2go Tue 09-Jun-09 18:46:47

Sorry meant to say DS1 was at least 6months.

DiabloCody Tue 09-Jun-09 21:29:55

TKS for your comments!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 11-Jun-09 15:57:17

I swaddled DS constantly til about 14weeks then gradually less and less, following his lead, til about 18 weeks. Sometimes he'd go down fine without being swaddled, sometimes he'd need the extra wrapping round...I found as he got bigger in his grobag and his legs were a bit more snug he didn't need swaddling

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now