Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for rolling baby in cot...

(8 Posts)
elizabethbob Thu 04-Jun-09 09:37:41

My DS is 6months. He's been rolling for a couple of months. For about 2 weeks he's been rolling onto his front in his cot and occasionally sleeping fine but other times crying out as he can't flip back over in his sleeping bag.

The last week, he's been waking us several times a night as he rolls to the side of the cot and puts his left arm through the bars of the cot and can't free himself as he only seems to be able to roll over his left side and the side of the cot is in the way. Even if he could roll over his right side he doesn't have anything to push off as his left arm is dangling outside the cot! So he just starts frantically trying to roll over his left (ie into the cot side) which apart from anything else, looks so uncomfortable as he's extending his left arm backwards IYSWIM.

I've tried placing him right at the bottom of the cot and on the right side (as you look at it from the bottom) but he still makes his way over there...

I have ordered some mesh fabric to see if I can construct a barrier so it's more like the side of a travel cot but I suspect I won't be able to get it taut enough.

It's really frustrating as otherwise on a good night, he sleeps 7pm to 3.30 or even 5am sometimes. And I'm trying to water down that feed so he might go through as he doesn't take much but once he's awake from getting stuck, he often decides he may as well have a feed! And as I'm up I often give in.

Any ideas? And sorry for the waffly nature of this post!

superdanovi Thu 04-Jun-09 12:24:05

Sorry, no insight here, just a sympathetic ear as we have the same problem. It's infuriating!!

BennyAndJoon Thu 04-Jun-09 12:28:11

Can you put a rolled up towel next to him to stop him rolling?

Sorry, nothing else springs to mind

cheeseytoastie Thu 04-Jun-09 12:42:35

My ds used to roll and then cry because he couldn't get back, so not exactly the same, but my solution was to tuck the excess from the bottom of his sleeping bag in under the mattress at the bottom of the cot. He could then try to roll but unless he untucked the sleeping bag there was no chance!

jellibob Tue 09-Jun-09 23:18:29

Had this with DS1, and made a sort of mat, with 2 sausage shaped ends about a foot long, to go underneath him. The stuffed bits were then against each side of his body, and stopped him rolling over. Hope that makes sense, difficult to describe!

At the time you could buy something similar, possibly from JoJo Maman Bebe, but can't remember, for about £15.

row78 Wed 10-Jun-09 16:49:16

Hi

I had the same problem and a rolled up towel on the side that he tried to roll worked. He woke me up once more trying to roll over put the towel was in hs way and then gave up. He still does it sometimes if I forget the towel.

jammietart Wed 10-Jun-09 18:55:53

Hi
Currently having this problem along with general moving around the cot and getting stuck and getting upset with my six month DD. It starts as soon as we put her in her cot aswell as through the night. I second tucking the end of the sleeping bag under the mattress and I also tuck her in with a blanket or sheet over the top of her sleeping bag under her arms. It mostly stops her rolling. Our problem is she prefers to sleep on her side but hasn't got enough control over her movement yet and I think gets a bit freaked out.
also lots of rolling practice during the day
hth

suzij Mon 06-Jul-09 09:58:50

Hi, having a similar challenge with my 14 week old who loves to sleep on tummy, and can roll there from being on his back. He isn't very good at rolling back - he can just about manage it, but ends up stuck against the bumper! If i put him on his back, he takes ages to settle, whereas if settled on his side, he goes straight off and then rolls onto his tummy sometime later in the evening. He can sleep 6.30pm til 2am without a feed, although i have to move him across the cot a few times as he has shuffled right up to the bars. He is a lot more restless after this feed and sometimes I end up feeding him at 4/5am when I doubt he needs it, but my hope is he will go off for another couple of hours. Sometimes he does, sometimes not. He also gets trapped wind and if I roll him back onto his back and push his knees up a bit and rock to sides, it passes. It's frustrating as I reckon without the wind and if he didn't shuffle so much, he would more or less sleep through. I know he is doing pretty well for his age, but just keen for any suggestions anyone might have to help. Re wind, he spits out gripe water (don't blame him) and Infacol doesn't seem to make much difference at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now