Talk

Advanced search

545 am waker, any tips... help...

(16 Posts)
wombleprincess Wed 03-Jun-09 06:40:59

dd 7.5 months wakes up at 5.45. not hungry, but grumbly after about 30 mins. try to hold off until 7 to feed but give in at 6.45 or so for peace and quiet.

she has always been a short napper during the day, her napping long or short seems to have no bearing on her nighttime sleep. goes down easily at 7pm.

please we are knackered... any tips?

There is a thread here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/763841-Early-waking-is-killing-me

(which I am on!) with some tips. However with prevalence of this threads I am starting to think it's an age thing.

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 07:16:28

Does that mean she is OK til 6:15? Maybe leave her til she's crying for food and she might go back to sleep? I think at this age my DD was still in our room and it was because of early waking that we moved her into her own room. She was waking me up, but still fine and happy.

Joolsiam Wed 03-Jun-09 07:23:24

I wonder if it is just the time of year ?

I have no DC's yet, so am obviously in no way qualified to give advice, but I've noticed the prevalence of threads recently.

I'm always awake by that time in May / June and consequently shattered in the evenings, even with only myself and DP to look after, but it always eases once we pass the longest day (June 21st) - just to do with the light in the mornings for me I think ?

artifarti Wed 03-Jun-09 07:49:34

Ooooh, I'd kill for 5.45! [competitive lack of sleep emoticon] wink

DS started sleeping through about 6 or 7 weeks ago - at first to 6/6.30 then it went back to 5/5.30, now we are at 4.30/5. It's horrendous! It's not about hunger and it's partly to do with teething. But mainly I do think it's the time of year - lighter and lighter mornings. There have definitely been lots more threads on this recently and other RL mums are moaning about it too.

We have just ordered velcro blackout blinds to see if it makes any difference and are going to move his cot away from the window to avoid all the tweety birds that sit outside. If that doesn't help...roll on autumn...

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 08:02:59

my ds at that age was 4.45 - 5 am had a feed would darken the room back out usually needing blanket over curtain and he'd go back off till 7

but he is 4 now and still an early riser unfortunately its not uncommon for some children to need less sleep and be early risers

make sure room is blackened out and maybe try slightly later bedtime make sure room is cool and not stuffy

6am is an early riser. 3am-5am constitutes middle of the night still.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 08:17:45

for some but not us who have been awake this time every day for 4 yrs lol

wombleprincess Wed 03-Jun-09 09:34:38

so what do you do? do i give in and feed her and then just start the day earlier? or leave her in her cot and feed at 7?

REad the thread I linked to there are lots of good suggestions.

bubblagirl Wed 03-Jun-09 09:39:30

i would in all honesty feed the nights are warmer she could easily be thirsty sooner it wont hurt darken room fed no talking pop back into cot and leave till bit later

i tried everything with ds nothing worked but that did i fed him went back to bed he'd go back off till 7 maybe 8

its trial and error really what works for some doesn't for others but in hot weather he always woke early thirsty sooner but if room was dark and i didnt talk he would go back off or lay happily with his toys

plimple Wed 03-Jun-09 13:31:59

If she is happy in her cot but awake leave her, if she is hungry feed her. If her being awake but happy keeps you awake I'd think about moving into her own room, or use that time to read a good book or bring her into bed with you for a little snooze. Babies are simple creatures, if they are hungry, feed them, tired, let them sleep, bored, entertain them.
Personally I would try to avoid getting out of my own bed before 6. After that is not so bad.

StealthPolarBear Wed 03-Jun-09 13:36:02

I too would kill for 5.45! Was 5.15 this morning so a good one

tommypickles Wed 03-Jun-09 14:58:56

Have you tried "wake to sleep"?
If he is only waking because it is now habit then this should work.
Basically go into his room an hour earlier than he would usually wake and wake him up.....not totally, just so that he starts to stir or move his eyes. It breaks the sleep pattern so they have to go back to sleep again and then should be back in the deep sleep at the time they would usaully wake. You may have to do it up to 5 nights but some people have broken the pattern in just the one night!!

plimple Thu 04-Jun-09 14:11:31

If it's any help my usually asleep til about 7 DD has suddenly started waking up really early too. Must be the weather and time of year.

fifitot Thu 04-Jun-09 21:01:23

Ha! I had 4.50 am this morning with my 3 year old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now