Talk

Advanced search

How to get DC out of habit of only going to sleep on breast?

(7 Posts)
nomorechoc Tue 02-Jun-09 20:52:05

any top tips please. seemed like a good solution originally but now feel that i have created a rod for my own back as he just cant get to sleep on his own

flamingobingo Tue 02-Jun-09 20:52:30

How old is he?

thisisyesterday Tue 02-Jun-09 20:56:19

we just waited. and ds2 eventually stopped by himself. no tears, no leaving him to cry, was absolutely fine!
trust me, he won't be doing it when he's 18!!! in fact, he's unlikely to still be doing it when he is 4 or 5. so enjoy your baby and use this nice peaceful method of getting him off to sleep for as long as you want

Anifrangapani Tue 02-Jun-09 20:59:42

My ds used to do that - now he takes himself to bed at 8pm sharp, even if we are out and about camping or at friends ( he just finds an empty bed and flakes). I wouldn't worry.

flamingobingo Tue 02-Jun-09 21:01:08

Agree with the others - mine (all four of them) have gone to sleep on the breast and been allowed to stop doing it gently when they're ready - only the 8m old is still doing it now smile

Enjoy the lovely warm soft cuddles while they last.

nomorechoc Tue 02-Jun-09 21:14:28

Thanks - hes 13m. he just seems so anxious when he wakes up - it might be nicer for him to know how to get HIMSELF to sleep

flamingobingo Wed 03-Jun-09 16:49:42

But he will, in time. He's anxious because that's what's normal for a 13m old - the answer isn't to teach him to fall asleep without the breast, it's to wait until he's old enough not to be anxious when he wakes up without you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now