Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping bags?!? What tog & sids worry...

(19 Posts)
hummingbird123 Thu 05-May-05 21:16:01

d's is 4 monthes and I have been wondering whether to buy a baby sleeping bag. Does it increase sid's risk? I like the idea as it will save trying to keep her tucked in all night. But what tog and make is best?! Or should I wait until she is older?

Hulababy Thu 05-May-05 21:18:58

I used baby sleepingbags with Dd from about 6 weeks old. In the winter/autumn I used a 2.0 tog one, and inthe summer a 1.o tog one.

I thought they were supposed to be safer than normally bedding, as there is less chance of the bag going over their heads and of over heating???

Xena Thu 05-May-05 21:21:56

I thought there were great with used them with my 2nd and 3rd. With the grobag ones you get a room themometer (sp?) it tells you what grobag with how many layers underneath. Normally it would be a vest and a pj top hotter just a vest and colder a sleepsuit and a vest. HTH

hummingbird123 Thu 05-May-05 21:24:43

I would agree rgds its being safer than bedding, but hv said to stick to blankets....but she wriggles so much (baby that is....not the hv!) I often find her with no bedding on (freezing cold) and once she had wriggled so much the bedding was loose and she had pulled it over her face I think I am going to get one at the weekend! Thanks for advice will try and find a 1.0 tog ready for the summer!

aloha Thu 05-May-05 21:24:59

4 months is a perfect age! Dd was in one at 8 weeks-ish. Great things IMO and no, they don't increase the sids risk and may even reduce it as babies can't get stuck under them as they can with regular covers.

LeahE Thu 05-May-05 21:54:29

They reduce the SIDS risk if anything so long as you pay attention to tog rating. As Xena says, the Grobag ones are great as they tell you which one to use with what underneath for different room temperatures.

Unfortunately DS still won't sleep unless swaddled, but the bags are there waiting...

beansprout Thu 05-May-05 21:57:05

You can get 0.5 tog bags for much warmer weather.
I think they are fab, can't recommend them enough!

hummingbird123 Thu 05-May-05 22:32:22

V handy to find out that the growbags come with thermometers and how many layers to put them in.....

Thanks everyone, I am definaltey going to get one at the weekend.

meggymoo Thu 05-May-05 22:44:38

Message withdrawn

Orinoco Thu 05-May-05 23:26:51

Message withdrawn

MazJSimpson Thu 12-May-05 09:44:38

My little one is 7 weeks old and I have used one since birth, I have felt alot more comfortable because she can't crawl under the covers or kick them off and be cold. I got mine from mothercare and wish they were around 7 years ago with my first!

tortoiseshell Thu 12-May-05 09:46:02

Definitely good idea - much more confident with them than with blankets. I would go for a Grobag one, and a 1 tog for the summer.

MandM Thu 12-May-05 09:51:13

Grobag's are an ESSENTIAL as far as I'm concerned! DD went into her first one at 6 weeks old and has just turned four (years that is, not months!!!) and is still in one. Going to wean her off it and onto a normal duvet before summer, but I'm not looking forward to it as she has always beena brilliant sleeper and I'm not sure how much of that is down to the Grobag!
I would say that the official Grobag ones (link further down the thread) are definitely worth investing in rather than the 'imitations' that you see in all the regular shops. Some of the supermarket ones etc. don't even have a tog rating on the label which is very concerning IMO.
HTH

melrose Thu 12-May-05 09:55:52

Mine has been in one since 4 weeks and think they are great. Make taking them away easier too as they still feel in familiar surroundings in teir grobag. John Lweis own brand afre identical to grobags and have tog ratings but are £5 cheaper. Depending on size of your little one i would consider buying 6-18 month size as unlikeky to be too big - try buying both sizes and take back one back

melrose Thu 12-May-05 09:56:17

Sorry for appalling typing!

tarantula Thu 12-May-05 10:01:49

I use sleeping bags and they are fantastic. I got mine in TKMAxx for £7 each and they are 2.5 tog. Ill be looking for lighter ones for the summer tho if it gets really hot. I think they are brilliant esp now dd is older and trying to get out of the cot. I have also got one for next winter which is fleece and has two zips at the bottom so can be bag or have legs and can be used in the pushchair (great for using if coming home a bit late, just put babe straight to bed).

melrose Thu 12-May-05 10:04:57

I used the 2 zip ones on holiday. Was really worried about going away as DS (11 mths) has always had a great bed routine and sleeps wella nd was worried about messing it up! Just bathed him at 6.30 as usual, gave him his milk and put him in his bag but in buggy not cot. Fell straight asleep and we could go out for ameal etc. Then just lifted him into cot - worked a dream!

Hulababy Thu 12-May-05 10:08:32

We also used to have a travel Grobag - which you could put the car seat or pushcahir straps through. Fab for when you are having a late night out somewhere. We would ge DD ready for bed, pop her in her travel bag, she'd sleep where we were and then to take her home she went in and out of car seat without disturbing her.

saadia Thu 12-May-05 11:13:00

I bought a Grobag yesterday for ds2, who is now just over a year old. He was always sleeping uncovered having kicked off his blankets so we always had to keep the heating on at night and I was constantly waking at night to cover him up so this way I know he won't get cold.

The thermometer and clothing advice is very reassuring. As an added bonus, he looks soooo cute in it. Only problem is he likes to stand up in his cot in the morning and the Grobag restricts his movement so he can't do that anymore.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: