Talk

Advanced search

It's official, I'm a zombie, 2 years and still not sleeping through.

(10 Posts)
Confuzzeled Wed 20-May-09 07:32:21

Why, Oh, Why, Oh, Why, Oh, Why, Oh, Why, Oh, Why, Oh, Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

We've tried everything, even the doctor can't help.

I'm due lo2 in August so at least I won't get a shock of no sleep again, it'll be business as usual.

The next person who makes a the suggestion that it's something I'm doing (or not doing) is going to get a buggy shoved up their arse. People who have children who sleep through from when they're tiny just don't understand and can be so twunting annoying.

sleepsforwimps Wed 20-May-09 16:46:14

Oh I feel your pain! My dd didn't sleep through until my ds was born, being pregnant and having a toddler and your bladder keep you awake is not fun.

I have no idea why my dd started to sleep through from then, nothing changed regarding her bedtime, well apart from me not being there! hmm she just started to while I was in hospital (she was 19 months).

Hopefully that's a ray of hope for you, it will happen one day just out of the blue.

So that's the good news of my post grin the bad news, my ds is 10 months and still doesn't sleep through so I haven't actually benefited from my dd sleeping through yet.. I'm really hoping I don't have to bring another newborn home to make him sleep through. hmm

Confuzzeled Wed 20-May-09 19:24:10

I have my fingers crossed that my dd will do the same and I hope your ds sleeps through soon too.

Good Luck

Skimty Sat 23-May-09 19:47:12

Just to let you know that I found having a non-sleeping older DS did help when DD was born because I was so used to being tired and had coping strategies in place!

DS (2.8) now sleeps though 3-4 night a week and DD still doesn't (8months) but you cope better than you think you can.

I actually think the emotional drain of worrying and fighting is the worst. You need to give in as much as possible. We put a mattress on the floor in our bedroom when DD was born and DS often slept there. People used to joke we had a four bedroomed house but we all slept in the same room.

lynniep Sat 23-May-09 19:54:46

DS didnt start until he was almost 2 (he's 2.2 now) and he still has the odd night where he wakes. But its taken a long time for us to get to this point - well, 2 years!) Even now its rare for him to sleep past 6am, but thats wonderful compared with how it used to be. It will happen it will! I probably can't recommend anything you havent heard already - if he/she can go to sleep on their own (do they?) then in theory they 'should' be able to sleep through by now and all you can do is be strict when they do wake and hope for the best tommorrow night.

disillusionedmum Sat 23-May-09 20:00:53

You are not alone..I have not had a single good night's sleep for 4 years now because of my two kids. They are the worst sleepers ever and I have heard lectures and endless preaching from others which I confess made me feel guilty many a time cause I was thinking it must be something I am doing wrong and maybe I am messing things up , etc etc..but I have given up now cause it just seems some kids are good sleepers some aren't but God i miss sleeping so much it hurts sad
I actually think my body has forgotten what it is like to sleep soundly so much so even when the 2 are asleep i will actually find myself waking up for no reason and not being able then when I finally can go back to sleep: waaaaahhhh!
Yes there are some people out there who are so damn lucky to have kids who sleep Big Time but then there are people like us..

chelseamorning Mon 25-May-09 21:43:56

I've been so sleep deprived with my 2.6 DS that I've dreamt he's woken up and has come into my room and is standing next to me. I looked round the room through a bleary eye and have whispered his name for him to come to me - and then realised that Nature's a cruel bitch! angry wink

Sidge Mon 25-May-09 21:48:09

My DD3 didn't sleep through until she was 2. I didn't do anything different from what I had done bedtime/sleep-wise for my other 2 DDs, she just is a much lighter sleeper.

Sometimes they don't sleep through at all, and then they just do it. My DD3 now sleeps all night most nights, but does wake occasionally for no apparent reason - probably a fly farted in her room or something...

I symapthise; it's exhausting. Hopefully your child will sleep soon. <hopeful emoticon>

copperbottom Wed 03-Jun-09 19:52:49

Loads of sympathy here too - our DS is 21 months and still not sorted sleepwise. It's absolutely knackering isn't it!

I have a cot mattress and a duvet on his bedroom floor at the moment in a desperate attempt to get a bit more kip when he won't settle, which is most nights at the moment. And yes, I know it's probably a really bad idea, but at this point I really don't give a hoot - I'm pooped!

And just to add to the fun now the terrible two's have kicked in and we currently have wake-ups with full blown tantrums thrown in for good measure..

I agree with disillusionedmum - you still bloomin wake up even when they have that (very) occasional good night...

I cling to the thought that he's nearly 2 now, so with any luck I've got less sleepless nights ahead of me now than I've already done

Oh lord I've said it now - so that's it - he'll be waking up till he's in his teens smile

We soldier on!!

jellybelly25 Wed 03-Jun-09 23:44:09

Same here. dd2 2.1yo and not sleeping. She used to though, we had a phase when she was about 5mo when she was really reliable - slept about 10pm-6am. Then at about 13mo she was great, slept 8pm-7am for about three weeks solid, I thought finally it's all sorted. FAT BLOODY CHANCE.

Anything and everything seems to set her back and screw it up. We dared to move house in October and have never recovered really. Just about got to an average of good bedtimes but waking once or twice. Then we dared to try to put her in pre-school and she's even worse than ever! Takes an HOUR to go to sleep.

I also keep beating myself with this stick about that I've done something wrong this time because dd1 was so good, but actually I think she would do what the hell she pleases no matter what i did, she is just that sort of child!

It is NOT FAIR!

Let's all keep surviving on the hope that tomorrow is that magical day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now