Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to get your baby/toddler to sleep?

(51 Posts)
marne Tue 03-May-05 20:44:19

Just took me an hour to get my 15 month old dd to sleep (thats quick).Sometimes it can take 2 hours or more.
I cant leave her to cry as she is throws up after 2 minutes so i have to sit on her floor until she nods off and then sneek out.

How long does it take to get yours to sleep,

Anybody got any tips please?

marne Tue 03-May-05 20:56:55

Bump

Enid Tue 03-May-05 20:58:48

that sounds like an age - has she always been like this (difficult to settle)?

nikcola Tue 03-May-05 20:59:27

just took me 45 mins to get dd (3) to sleep i have to lie down with her !

this is good though before she never used to sleep till 1am some nights

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:02:46

She used to fall asleep by herself until about 10 months then she started playing up, she has always slept in her own room so is used to being on her own, dont know whats gone wrong.

Donbean Tue 03-May-05 21:03:17

OMG how do you cope with that? Are you not exhausted by it?

Enid Tue 03-May-05 21:03:42

what's your basic daily routine?

Donbean Tue 03-May-05 21:04:12

sorry, just got tons and tons of sympathy for you both thats all

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:09:28

She wakes up at 6.30, has a nap for an hour at 1.30 - 2.00, and i try to get her to sleep by 7.30.
She wakes up once or twice in the night but goes back to sleep after a few mouth fulls of milk.
Shes only slept through a couple of times.

motherinferior Tue 03-May-05 21:10:36

No! How horrible for you! Can you get her to stop the night feeds, because those must be killing you?

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:12:27

My dh and i are exhausted, we take it in turns to put her to bed. We dont get much time to ourselves.

WideWebWitch Tue 03-May-05 21:12:57

Hi marne, I had a similar puking drama queen, got loads of advice, let me see if I canfind the thread, hang on

Donbean Tue 03-May-05 21:13:15

same as mine Marne, although i didnt give him any milk at all at night. Again, huge sympathies to you, i hope some one on here can suggest some thing helpful for you.

motherinferior Tue 03-May-05 21:13:24

I'm not surprised. I genuinely don't think my DP and I would be speaking if that was happening to us.

WideWebWitch Tue 03-May-05 21:15:56

Marne, here's my thread here - she is sleeping now, from 7.30pm (and is put down awake in her cot and we walk away and she goes straight to sleep) to 6am. I could do with a later morning but I can live with it as it's an improvement on before. Maybe there's something in there that'll help. I feel much better for some sleep, poor you.

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:16:31

Have tried to cut out the night feeds but she just screams if i dont feed her. The only way to get her to sleep through is to drug her up with calpol.
Its realy hard work as i have to get up for work in the mornings and im tierd from getting up in the night.
Think ive only had one whole nights sleep since i had her.

WideWebWitch Tue 03-May-05 21:18:04

Marne, what worked in the end for us was putting a chair by her cot, putting her in there awake and staying there. Every time she got up (in a grobag mind you, can't have been easy for her, god she was determined) we lay her back down again. We didn't leave the room (see puking/blood incident), we just persisted until she was asleep or not resisting lying down. It was so worth it.

WideWebWitch Tue 03-May-05 21:19:02

Is she walking? Does getting her to walk in the day help? I so so sympathise, I was knackered for 17 months too. It's absolute hell on earth.

Nemo1977 Tue 03-May-05 21:20:21

aww marne
would u be able to leave her with a book or anything..i used to do this with ds and he is now 18mths and either goes straight to sleep or he reads a book and turns his light out to go to sleep

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:20:58

Me and dh are hardly speeking, we just snap at each other, i would realy like another baby but dh wont let me because dd tires us out so much.

marne Tue 03-May-05 21:24:25

Tried giving her a book or a teddy, worked for a while then she would throw it out of her cot, cry until i went to pick it up.

frankie26 Tue 03-May-05 21:28:53

apart from the milk at night what milk is she getting during the day

frankie26 Tue 03-May-05 21:33:58

have a 20mths and she is on 8oz in morning and before bed - phased out night feeds by giving water instead. she has gone through a few phases at one point had to hold her until she dropped off then carefully place her in bed - know what your going through

Nemo1977 Tue 03-May-05 21:34:27

is it possible to do a couple of nights of her only having water when she wakes as my son also used to wake expecting milk. It was horrible but after 3 nights he didnt wake again...

Nemo1977 Tue 03-May-05 21:34:27

is it possible to do a couple of nights of her only having water when she wakes as my son also used to wake expecting milk. It was horrible but after 3 nights he didnt wake again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now