Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to get 21mo dd to sleep by herself?

(6 Posts)
lilybubble Tue 03-May-05 20:37:28

Would really love some advice with helping me get dd to sleep by herself. She is 21 months, and currently I bf her to sleep on the sofabed. She doesn't usually go to bed till quite late - about 10pm and sometimes as late as midnight. She then, almost always, sleeps through the night (only since Jan has this happened).

A month ago I went back to work full-time and she started nursery full-time. We were both there part-time beforehand. She has a full, busy day, but just doesn't seem to need all that much sleep.

Now, I would very much like her to learn to go to sleep by herself (without bf) and in her own bed. But I have no real idea of where to start!?

At nursery the staff lie her down and rub her back. Occasionally she will finish her bf and cuddle up to me and go to sleep, but that is very much the exception rather than the rule.

I would be so grateful for any advice or tips as to what I could do.....? Would sooo love to get back to my own bed! And to dh too of course!!

Enid Tue 03-May-05 21:00:45

bump

lilybubble Sun 05-Jun-05 20:55:32

Thanks Enid for the bump. Am bumping again in the hopes that someone might see, and help me out??

frannyf Mon 06-Jun-05 20:44:02

Hi there,

I don't think this link has advice for your exact situation but it does explain how to wean from night-time breastfeeding in a gentle way. Hope it might help a bit or at least give you some ideas. How lovely for your daughter that she has had the comfort and security of breastfeeding while she falls asleep for so long...

changing the sleep pattern in the family bed

lilybubble Tue 07-Jun-05 22:59:02

Ahh, thanks frannyf, that's a lovely article, and I think I could definitely get something from it. Thank you so much for taking the time to post, and also for your lovely comment, which brought a lump to my throat - nobody has ever said anything so nice about the bf, they just think it's weird....

frannyf Thu 09-Jun-05 18:59:29

Only just saw your last message lily - you are welcome and I am glad you liked the article. I breastfeed my son to sleep as well (he is 2 and a bit) and I know what you mean about never getting supportive comments! My GP is Muslim and she was the only person who ever said "Well done" to me for feeding him up to age 2 - yet it's recommended by the WHO to continue for at least this long. Anyway, hope your bedtimes are working out and if you ever want a chat via email do get in touch...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now