Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping after night feed

(5 Posts)
MazJSimpson Tue 03-May-05 09:35:42

Hello, this is my first visit to the site. I am looking for some advice please. My 6 week old has started to take 1-2 hours to get to sleep (i know it is early days yet) when I put her down (usually between 11-12pm), then when she wakes about 4 for a feed, she is changed and fed and takes another 1-2 hours to go back to sleep. She is not screaming, but crying/moaning and failing to fall back into slumber. Any advice would be greately appreciated.

aloha Tue 03-May-05 09:45:21

Poor you, my ds (now three ) was like this an it was torture. Do you absolutely need to change her? If not, don't. Can you put her in with you in a really firm cuddle? Have you tried swaddling? Are you breast or bottle feeding? If breastfeeding have you tried putting her back on after a change to get her sleepy again?

MazJSimpson Tue 03-May-05 12:38:14

Aloha, thanks. I am breastfeeding and I mentioned to my husband this morning that I will try putting her back on after a change (but will check if she needs to change first). I also read on the site earlier about the pu/pd method, which I am also going to try. If this doesn't work I will try the swaddling/firm cuddling. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

aloha Tue 03-May-05 14:13:59

Really, don't change her unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I never, ever did with dd (she's now sleeping through - hurrah!) and only did with ds because he would explode several times a night. YOu really don't have to change your baby at every feed and it wakes them up dreadfully. I would say if you need to check, then she doesn't need it. I didnt' even wind dd - just put her down when she was asleep or drowsy from her feed.
Also, make sure she really has had enough milk. Offer more if she doesn't go off quickly.
Finally, the pick up put down thing is - I'm pretty certain - for older babies. With a six week old I would definitely cuddle/co-sleep and/or swaddle as a first resort. I slept with my dd for the first few weeks, and now she sleeps all night in her cot. She is very easy though - my payback for my ds, who was a complete nightmare at night!

MazJSimpson Wed 04-May-05 22:43:05

Aloha, thank you very much for the advice - it worked! I bathed her then fed her in the bedroom with a dim light on, winded her and cuddled her to sleep (took about 20 mins) before putting her in her crib. She slept from 1130 to 0430. At 0430 I fed her and didn't change or wind her just put her straight back down and she slept till 9 this morning. I've just managed to get her down the same tonight (an hour earlier!), hopefully the start of a wonderful routine. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now