Talk

Advanced search

4 Year Old Still Kicking Off Covers!!

(12 Posts)
ssd Tue 03-May-05 07:43:46

My ds is 4 and used to have a baby sleeping bag when he was little. He slept great in these but he outgrow the biggest one and also the mail order company stopped making them. Now he is 4 and sleeps in a single bed and kicks off his covers during the night and wakes up during the night and calls for us. He finds it hard to pull them up as they are quite heavy and in the middle of the night his first thought is to call out for us. Last night I went in with him and tried to keep the covers on him and he was okay BUT OF COURSE I'V HAD 2 HOURS SLEEP!!

His covers are well tucked in to try to keep them in place, but if they are left loose he just kicks them off sooner!

Please does anyone have any suggestions?
(P.S. he won't go into a sleeping bag now as he thinks they are for babies and he's a big boy....)

SoupDragon Tue 03-May-05 07:49:27

What covers does he have? DS2 (4) has a sandard single duvet and manages to sort it out himself, although I suspect he just sleeps on the top anyway, DS1 is the same.

Somewhere used to sell clip things that clipped on one side of a cover, went uncderneath the mattress and up the other side to clip there. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw them - it was a catalogue.

SoupDragon Tue 03-May-05 07:50:19

Or if he's really into the "big boy" thing, teach him that Big Boys sort out their covers themselves, that's why they don't have sleeping bags ??

ssd Tue 03-May-05 07:53:46

Soupdragon, thanks for your replies. The clips sound great, I wonder if anyone knows more about them.
And I know what you mean about the big boy thing, but he's just turned 4 and likes to be a big boy when it suits him and during the night I guess if he wakes up he just wants to be a litle boy and call for us....

Toothache Tue 03-May-05 07:59:04

Are you sure it's just the covers ssd that make him want you during the night? It sounds a bit like an excuse to me. He wants cuddles during the night.

My ds (4 in June) has just started sleeping all night in his own bed without disturbing us and I admit that it was good old fashioned bribery that has worked! NOTHING else would.... the 'big boy' theory never ever worked. We bought him a Power Ranger the 1st night he slept all night, then the next night he said "Mummy, if I sleep all night in my own bed can I get another Power Ranger?". I agreed and he slept all night again. Thats been about a week now (fingers crossed!!). Its' going to cost us a feckin fortune, but it'll be so worht it.

ssd Tue 03-May-05 08:01:04

I lke that one toothache. Your ds sounds like mine, mine is power rangers mad! Maybe this would work...

Toothache Tue 03-May-05 08:01:28

Should add that the 1st night he slept all night was purely coz he didn't have a nap that day and went to sleep really late... so he was shattered. He slept from 9.30pm to 6.30am. That was a huge break through.

ssd Tue 03-May-05 12:57:04

Yes, the dreaded afternoon nap! I try to keep him awake and there are days he doesn't fall asleep but as he's an early riser too he tends to fall asleep at teatime which is the worst time ever.

I know if he never slept during the day he'd be bound to be better at night.

Lucycat Tue 03-May-05 13:08:32

Poor you! you could try these duvet grippers from Gltc - if they work then please let me know as dd2 is getting a bit too big for her sleeping bag too and that is just the sort of trick she'd try to pull in the middle of the night!!

Toothache Tue 03-May-05 13:10:51

ssd - I found ds curled up in his bed yesterday at 6pm as I was cooking his dinner! Bless... he was SOOOOOO annoyed when I woke him up. He said "Aw Mummy I just wanted a wee snooze, leave me aloooooooooone"!

spykid Tue 03-May-05 13:25:07

ssd, I use a big fleecy blanket, or throw at the bottom of ds's beds and tuck it in tightly around the bottom of their duvets. seems to help them from coming off the bed completely. Kids are wriggly in bed anyway though, try putting a pair of socks on him if his feet are warm he might not wake up.

rickman Tue 03-May-05 13:36:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now