Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sleep with door open

(19 Posts)
yingers74 Thu 28-Apr-05 21:19:48

Okay, can anyone advise pls?

My dd is 26 months now and has generally been a good sleeper. Lately she has insisted on sleeping with the door open (which is something i did when i was young), however this does mean we have to be quite quiet round the house. If we try to get her to sleep with the door shut then she will scream for ages. She has also started waking at night. Can i do cc with the door open?

PrettyCandles Thu 28-Apr-05 21:32:07

Yes you can do cc with the door open, it's just harder for you. What if you leave the door open until she falls asleep, then shut it until you go to bed and open it again if needed during the night?

I'd be reluctant to start cc at 26m if she has been a good sleeper until now. There may be something else waking her - bad dreams perhaps, if she's also upset by the door being shut.

nailpolish Thu 28-Apr-05 21:32:56

have you got a nightlight?

PrettyCandles Thu 28-Apr-05 21:32:58

Or how about a nightlight if keeping the door open is very impractical?

PrettyCandles Thu 28-Apr-05 21:33:19

Great minds

Aero Thu 28-Apr-05 21:33:34

Ours also like their doors open for going to sleep and I have no problem with that. We don't creep around really - they listen to a tape anyway so noise isn't an issue. I'm a bit paranoid though about having the doors closed while we sleep (fire risk thing), so I just close them when they've gone to sleep. Don't think I'd do cc for this though - she is probably genuinely a bit frightened as she grows more aware of things.

nailpolish Thu 28-Apr-05 21:34:32

oh and sometimes we have the radio on REALLY low as well as the nightlight

Nemo1977 Thu 28-Apr-05 21:48:32

my ds has his door open but we have never been intentionally quiet. Like aeros children he also listens to music[lullabies] while going to sleep which helps a lot as he never wakes up now even when we shout to each other from upstairs to down etc....

nailpolish Thu 28-Apr-05 21:52:46

nemo/aero

do you have a cd/tape deck in your childrens rooms? are they asleep before it has finished? could you recommend me some good tapes/cd's? thanks

(sorry to hijack yingers)

Aero Thu 28-Apr-05 21:54:57

Yes np - how old are your children? Mine all have CD/tape players in their rooms and have been use from a very early age. My kids are 7, 4 and 15mths.

Nemo1977 Thu 28-Apr-05 21:56:07

hi my ds has a cd player in his room was form comet and was £25 with 10 cds included
when he goes to bed i put on the classic fm lullabies cd and he is always asleep before it finishes. We only got it because ds seemed to be scared of being left alone when he was about 6mths so still goes on now at 18mths.

Aero Thu 28-Apr-05 21:56:59

ps - often they're asleep before its finished and ds can turn his own over once (that is the rule). Dd has one side and is usually asleep within minutes. Ds2 has a music CD which plays through once and he's always asleep before the end.

nailpolish Fri 29-Apr-05 07:55:05

dd1 is 2 yrs 6 mths and dd2 is 6 mths. i would like to try a cd for dd1 cos shes tired when she goes to bed, but wakes and plays in her room for a while! so i just thought it might help her wind down. thanks xxx

yingers74 Fri 29-Apr-05 11:52:44

Hello all,

thanks for advice. have started to use the night light on her monitor.

last night was the worst night, she did not settle at all with and did not fall asleep till 9.30, this had to do with a neigbour coming round though I think. She also woke up at 2.30 and i did cc with her, she fell asleep at 3.30 and then slept till 8am. Not sure the door being opened made any difference last night although think I will perservere with keeping it open.

not sure if it is bad dreams as when i go in, she says things like, want milk, want water, want daddy to sleep there, want to be picked up etc, nothing that suggests she is actually frightened. She seems more angry.

Have never used cds with her.

Hoping tonight proves easier, I think a lot of my probs started when we got back from our holiday.

yingers74 Fri 29-Apr-05 11:52:46

Hello all,

thanks for advice. have started to use the night light on her monitor.

last night was the worst night, she did not settle at all with and did not fall asleep till 9.30, this had to do with a neigbour coming round though I think. She also woke up at 2.30 and i did cc with her, she fell asleep at 3.30 and then slept till 8am. Not sure the door being opened made any difference last night although think I will perservere with keeping it open.

not sure if it is bad dreams as when i go in, she says things like, want milk, want water, want daddy to sleep there, want to be picked up etc, nothing that suggests she is actually frightened. She seems more angry.

Have never used cds with her.

Hoping tonight proves easier, I think a lot of my probs started when we got back from our holiday.

Aero Fri 29-Apr-05 18:31:48

Hi np. There are simply loads of tapes available depending on what your dd likes.
At that age ds1's favourite was the Kipper stories on tape read by Dawn French, and he listened to the same one every night for ages.
Dd likes the Angelina Ballerina stories and anything girly or princessy. They both also liked the classic stories on tape - Repunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, The elves and the shoemaker etc.
For music tapes, I can really recommend anything by Raffi. He's a Canadian children's singer and the songs are very easy to listen to - the kind that don't grate on your adult nerves after a short time. Slightly folky and 'sing-alongy'. We have some very old ones on tape which I don't think are available any more, but I know you can get the newer CD's on Amazon. Not many people have heard of him here, so they're hare to get hold of. The 2 CDs we have are Songs for the very Young and More Songs for the very young. Ds2 has the same CD on every time he goes for a sleep - even during the day.
I'll have a look for you and see if I can find a link. HTH

Aero Fri 29-Apr-05 18:49:04

Meant 'Singable songs for the very Young' and 'More Singable songs for the very young'. We also have 'Baby Beluga' on tape. any of these would be good for your LOs . Highly recommended.

Aero Fri 29-Apr-05 18:55:38

Hmmm - not working. If you just go to www.amazon.co.uk, and type in Raffi in the search bar, you'll see the page I'm trying to link you to.
Have tried again and it didn't work when I previewed. HTH.

bagpussmice Fri 29-Apr-05 20:39:24

dd1 who is now 3.5 listens to Whinnie the Pooh stories read by Alan Bennet on a cd - it's very soothing to listen to and she generally falls asleep after the first story or 2....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now