Talk

Advanced search

How do you integrate 15 month & 3 1/2 boys in a smallish room?

(12 Posts)
dropinthe Wed 27-Apr-05 11:20:46

Ds1 sleeps happily in his own bed-his old cot is next to it empty as ds2 has been sleeping with us since birth.
Has anyone successfuly managed to get a younger sibling into the same room as an older one without too many sleepless nights?

elliott Wed 27-Apr-05 12:16:04

Mine are similar ages - 17 months and 3.5 - and have been happily sharing for about 2 months. This was our third attempt at putting them together - previous attempts at Christmas and last summer were abandoned because ds2 had a tendency to wake early and ds1 would respond to his crying by screaming, thus setting up an escalating cacophony....
This time has worked much better. Partly because ds2 isn't waking quite so early, and partly because ds1 is older and more sensible and we have talked a lot to him about the need to stay quiet and ignore ds2 if he cries (he is told to hide under the duvet and try to go back to sleep - and he does! so ds2 quite often goes back to sleep, or lies happily gurgling) They both seem to have got better at ignoring each other's noise, and now seem to sleep better for having the company.

I think you just have to give it a go - it will depend a bit on what sort of sleepers they are. Ds1 is much more prone to sleep disturbance than ds2 so he is the one we've had to work on!

dropinthe Thu 28-Apr-05 14:05:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HRHDuchessofPeahead Thu 28-Apr-05 14:10:43

I'm contemplating putting 19mth old ds with 4 yr old ds but haven't been brave enough yet. 4 yr old currently shares with 7yr old dd but she wants him out of her room. he doesn't want to go to his own room as he likes the company! I should just do it - I'm sure they will all settle down in a few days or so....

Distel Thu 28-Apr-05 14:12:21

I have a 5 year old, 3 year old and a 1 year old in the same room. DS and DD (the older 2) wake up early in the morning but go into the living room and play, so dont wake the baby! They must be really heavy sleepers as when we had to do controlled crying with DS2 about 3 months ago, they slept all night without a problem and managed to ignore (or sleep through) the crying. Good luck and I hope your child has the resilience to ignore these things. x x x

dropinthe Thu 28-Apr-05 14:18:47

I'm going to start off sleeping in older ones bed I think and if it gets really bad bundle him with Daddy.

Distel Thu 28-Apr-05 14:20:59

How old are the DS'S?

Distel Thu 28-Apr-05 14:22:15

sorry, just saw the thread title

dropinthe Thu 28-Apr-05 14:24:00

Don't worry-brain mashed too!

Pinotmum Thu 28-Apr-05 14:25:55

Last June ds was still sleeping with me and dd was in her own bed (double). He was 20 months and she was 3.6 yo. We went on holiday and when we returned I put them both in the same room. Ds has a small bed and this worked from day one. He now creeps into her bed and it's quite sweet seeing them in the morning He is going in his own room this Summer and just hope it's as simple.

jamiesam Thu 28-Apr-05 14:31:20

Hi

We're considering putting ds's in together soon. They are 21 months and 3 1/2 and to be honest I fear the broken nights / early mornings.

I'd be interested to know how long it took for anyone else's to settle down? To be fair, they have slept together when we've been visiting relatives, and going to sleep wasn't a problem at all. However, they do take turns to be the early riser. If they are both in together, I'm not sure the one would sleep through the others cries/calls.

However, I only need them to sleep together if I get pg with no 3, and haven't actually started ttc yet. Can fret about whether they'd sleep through while still putting them in their own bedrooms for the foreseeable future!

Good luck dropinthe

honeybunny Thu 28-Apr-05 16:04:34

ds1+2 started sharing after a 2week holiday in which we all shared a room. They like having each other for company. There was great excitement for the first few nights, playing and chatting, but it settled without major sleep loss. They were 3and just under 2 at the time. I'd say go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now