Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone read 'No Cry Sleep Solution' by Elizabeth Pantley

(12 Posts)
Tallgirl Tue 26-Apr-05 12:02:40

Was just looking up the Richard Ferber book on Amazon when spotted a link to this one which is supposed to be the gentle more attachment parenting solution. Reading the reviews it sounds fantastic and seems to have worked for some people without their babies having to 'cry it out' so wondered if anyone has read or seen it? DD (7 months) is waking up at night (3.30 this morning)having been peacefully asleep and going down really easily at 7pm but not sure if Controlled crying is for me and DH?

Anyway - any comments on the book would be appreciated.
TIA

dinosaur Tue 26-Apr-05 12:03:36

Well, I've read it, and I did try some of the ideas in it...but it didn't work for DS3 and me.

Marina Tue 26-Apr-05 12:05:08

It is great. You have to read it carefully, so it's not a quick-fix solution, but it's a great alternative if you know deep down you won't be able to see CC through.
Although I had not read it at the time, a lot of what she suggests for knocking all night feeding on the head worked for us when I tried it with ds four years ago.
Ionesmum, are you around?

Tallgirl Tue 26-Apr-05 12:07:42

Here is the link on amazon here

LeahE Tue 26-Apr-05 12:50:59

I would say it's definitely worth trying if you aren't comfortable with controlled crying and are prepared to take a more "gradual fix" than "quick fix" approach. It's more a range of things you can try than an overall technique -- some of it will probably help in your situation but some of the rest won't.

You might also try the Baby Whisperer Pick Up / Put Down technique -- the best explanation of this IMO is in her new book (The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems).

PinkFluffPudding Tue 26-Apr-05 13:22:08

Yes - i bought it while on amazon looking at the Frber book too! Very sweet, a lovely book which makes you feel reassured if your baby isn't a miracle sleeper.

Still resorted to controlled crying and have to say was the most effective method i tried!

Tallgirl Tue 26-Apr-05 13:51:20

I've requested the Ferber book from the library and had a quick look at the Baby whisperer book at lunchtime. Cant imagine the PU/PD method working as think would be standing by the cot the whole time just putting down and continuously picking up? Hmmmm can imagine would take some time. Trouble is going to bed at night and not sure what we are going to do when (if!) she wakes up...

LeahE Tue 26-Apr-05 14:07:33

I've seen PU/PD on television and the first night the parents are often standing there all night but it rapidly improves after that. She claims that if you do it right and stick to it she has never met a baby it didn't work on within a week, and often less depending on age.

I was sceptical too but have friends who swear by it and we are going to try on DS when we get back from holiday -- he's too young for Ferber (plus I feel uncomfortable with it, although if it comes to it and other things haven't worked I'd be prepared to try) and I don't want to wait until he is old enough before tackling his sleep problems.

If you only have the one night waking and your DD is going down easily, napping and otherwise sleeping well, then it could very well be worth checking out the No Cry book.

Seona1973 Tue 26-Apr-05 14:16:20

The babywhisperer's pick up/put down does work (well it has for me and dd). If my dd wakes in the night and cries for more than a minute or so and doesnt sound as if she is settling either me or dh goes through to her and sometimes all it needs is a quick cuddle to help calm her back down so she can go back to sleep and other times it will take 10-20 minutes of pu/pd. I would rather respond to her cries so that she trusts that she will come to her if she is upset rather than leave her to cry.

Could your lo be teething? or maybe he was just going through a period of light sleep and something disturbed him. Has he been making any developmental leaps e.g. crawling, rolling, etc? as these all lead to sleep disturbances too.

My dd went through a very disturbed period at around 9 months and I never resorted to leaving her to cry (although I did come to understand why some people might!!) and on the most part she does sleep well. She has the usual disturbances with teething, the cold, ear infections, etc but gets back on track easily afterwards through consistency/persistence.

Seona1973 Tue 26-Apr-05 14:18:54

substitute 'she' for 'he' and 'her' for 'him' in my post - sorry!!

Tallgirl Tue 26-Apr-05 14:29:05

Thanks for your post Seona & Leah. DD has bottom two teeth just come through the gum last week. She is moving around quite a lot - on her front can wriggle about and move backwards (although not up on knees yet). She has days where she does sleep through or wakes briefly and goes back to sleep after about 10 mins crying - last night wasnt one of them and it was 3.30am! Dh suggested we keep a diary of when she is waking at what time which might be an idea to see if there is any pattern. I really dont think she is hungry as is on 3 solid meals a day and protein etc and has milk before bed but giving her milk does seem to work in that she will go back down again. Must try with few sips of water tonight and see if that works - keep forgetting to try that in my sleep addled mind!

Thanks again

ionesmum Fri 29-Apr-05 21:22:42

Just seen this - would definitely recommend this book as a starting point for sleep problems. This book kept me sane with dd1 an dhas helped with dd2, although a winter of illness has made her problems a bit more ingrained and we are now trying a sleep plan prepared for us by a consultant which is based around PU/PD - type ideas.

Also very often babies go through a phase and you may find your dd changes her habits again in a week or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now