Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sudden aversion to sleep

(6 Posts)
Waswondering Fri 15-Apr-05 10:26:52

DS, 19m, has been very good at sleeping. But suddenly, he is objecting very loudly to going into his cot at night. He previously would lie still as I put him into his grobag, say night=night, and that would be that. Since the clocks changed, however, he is fighting any attempt to go to bed. He screams and screams and I'm having to go in and give him a cuddle to calm him down. The thing is, while screaming, he is rubbing his eyes with tiredness. I don't get it. Once he falls asleep, he's still sleeping through (thankfully!) but it's getting him down which is stressful. We are routine folks, and haven't changed his routine at all - so I can't work it out.

Am I alone? DH finds it stressful that ds is so unhappy about going to bed at the moment.

Thanks!

colditz Fri 15-Apr-05 10:27:58

Have you tried putting him to bed an hour later? Because of daylight saving, he may not feel that it is "bedtime"!

laneydaye Fri 15-Apr-05 10:30:17

maybe try a black out blind waswondering, so its dark when he goes to bed.....

Waswondering Fri 15-Apr-05 10:35:07

We've delayed his bedtime. Hasn't made a difference, and he does have a blackout blind.

tassis Sat 16-Apr-05 21:12:18

Hi WW, just seen this. I think I said that ds has been similar. Screaming abdabs at bedtime. Usually pretty short-lived, but unpleasant and like you it's dh who finds it most stressful.

My tip FWIW is to try putting them to bed earlier. 2 reasons - firstly, they're exhausted because they've not been getting to bed on time on previous nights and secondly, if you are anticipating 30mins strop time in the cot before sleep they're falling asleep at nearer the "right" time.

We go in every 5 mins or so for cuddles unless the crying is slowing down!

Hope it stops soon. Your ds is ADORABLE by the way!!

Waswondering Sun 17-Apr-05 13:18:44

Thanks Tassis. Have to say that last night, when we got home from your ds's fabulous and fantastic birthday party, he went to the cot without a whimper. I checked on him an hour later and I really don't think he had moved an inch since I laid him down. Still staggered that neither he nor his backseat companion slept at all on the journey home (just happy to point and smile at each other). So hope this is a temporary phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now