Talk

Advanced search

When to start the bedtime story?

(6 Posts)
mmmmchocolate Thu 14-Apr-05 22:18:06

Evening all,

When is it best to include a story in the bed time routine? My DD is 7 months and is in a great routine so wondering if its time to add story.. Also would you read on lap so can look at pictures (would be in lounge, dd in box room)or put her in cot??? Thanks in advance x

flamesparrow Thu 14-Apr-05 22:20:28

I have been reading on and off since day one... I found it best with DD (who has the attention span of a gnat) that reading with her in bed/cot worked best... if she is on my lap then she gets stroppy that the pages don't turn when she wants and it all gets into a big fight!!!

sacha3taylor Thu 14-Apr-05 22:23:24

DS is 11 months, havn't really tried reading to him but he loves singing so will follow this thread

sasa15 Fri 15-Apr-05 13:59:11

ds 8 months...started brushing teeth(only2)
and bedtime story...short with picts book....

seems to like it!!!

tarantula Fri 15-Apr-05 14:15:00

dd is 15mnths and have been reading to her since she was about 7mnths. have always sat her on my lap and began by looking at pictures and using glittery and 'feely' books. She now loves the Usbourne 'thats not my ...' series and also lift the flap books. Shes got loads of other books too but those are her favs. Joining the library si also a good idea to get different books and the libraries dont mind if the books are dribbled on and a bit chewed when they get back.

PrettyCandles Fri 15-Apr-05 14:26:44

With ds we started at about 3-4m, when we started putting him to bed in his own cot at about 7pm, rather than letting him sleep on the sofa next to us until we went to bed. Dd had bedtime stories almost from day 1, because she would listen-in on ds's stories. We always read with ds on lap, only moved to the sofa when I was pg with dd and wanted him to get used to not sitting on my lap while being read to.

It's very nice and soothing...my dh usually reads the bedtime story, and often falls asleep in the middle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now