Talk

Advanced search

Dummies at night - how to keep them in?

(10 Posts)
IlanaK Thu 14-Apr-05 13:39:51

My 10 month old is not a good sleeper at night and with bad teething at the moment, we are resorting to a dummy. The problem is going in 20 times a night to put it back in.

During the day, he is perfectly able to pick it up, pop it in, and turn it around if needed (its an orthodontic shaped one). I bought a dummy clip today thinking that if I clip it to his sleeping bag he will be able to find it at night. But the clip is rubbish really. One strong pull and he has pulled it off. Also, I am not convinced he will know to look for it.

How do you teach them to retrieve their own? He does not sleep in a cot - h e is in an Amby Baby Nest so does not roll onto his back or side. At the moment, when the dummy falls out, it sort of lodges itself under his neck so you would think he would be able to find it himself, but he doesn't.

Any tips or suggestions gratefully recieved. I asked a friend who said her baby had been able to put it back in herself since she was 2 months old!

P.S. We have tried actually forgoing the dummy completely for 2 weeks and it made no difference to his sleep so please don't turn this into a should you/shouldn't you use a dummy debate!

MissSunshine Thu 14-Apr-05 13:41:49

we had the same problem and resorted to putting loads of dummies around the pillow,he always managed to reach out and find one

IlanaK Thu 14-Apr-05 14:29:26

Thanks for replying. From what age did he manage to do that?

IlanaK Thu 14-Apr-05 19:21:49

No-one alse with night-time dummy issues????

Whizzz Thu 14-Apr-05 19:23:03

Dying to reply.........."Sellotape"

Sorry - one of those days !

serenity Thu 14-Apr-05 19:24:21

LOL just came on here to post the same thing!

SoupDragon Thu 14-Apr-05 19:24:31

I was going to say duck tape Which isn't much help, I know.

serenity Thu 14-Apr-05 19:26:35

Seriously, DD could find her own by that age but she had had it longer so had more practice iyswim. Unless someone comes up with some bright idea I think you might just have to persevere until he 'gets' it, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later

SoupDragon Thu 14-Apr-05 19:28:26

Attach several to the sides of the cot with velcro so they stay in place but can easily be pulled off when needed? TBH, I guess finding the dummy is something he'll have to learn for himself.

mand18 Thu 21-Apr-05 22:44:27

hi,
have 7 month old with similar problem, am just trying dummy clip too, have you tried practising with it on during the day? many people have told me to scatter lots in cot and hope they find one!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now