Talk

Advanced search

Can I sleep train if dd has a cold?

(7 Posts)
ionesmum Wed 13-Apr-05 11:00:34

Dd2 is at the end of a cold - a snotty nose. I am ready to give up my evenings to try settling her without bf and intend to use Pantley/ pu/pd. Can I start now or should I wait until she is better (which given our track record is likely to be when she starts school...)

TIA!

Papillon Wed 13-Apr-05 11:06:30

how old is she ionesmum?

I personally would wait until the snotty nose and cough? has gone... could amp up her emotions and yours when she is crying etc.

With dd I talked and sung to her alot and cuddled her. I tried to wean off falling asleep on the breast by doing it gradually... a more and more awake state as and when it seemed right for her. On the othe hand I and other friends in RL often have bf to sleep even at 1 year and older and have not had too many problems with changing the programme later.

Marina Wed 13-Apr-05 11:08:50

Well, as you know, we recently "trained" dd and she has more or less permanently gunky ears. So if you really feel you might be hanging around for snot-free evenings for some years yet...go for it! And good luck!

Dannie Wed 13-Apr-05 11:16:47

Depends how desperate you are

ionesmum Wed 13-Apr-05 11:18:10

Papillon, dd2 is nearly 13mo. And I need some sleep, and dh needs me back, not spending all night with dd2 clamped to my boob! I do intend to do this very gradually, Pantley and the BW programme I have are both gentle, I will start by getting dd2 to fall asleep in my arms without the boob and then try getting her into her cot once that is established.

Thanks, Marina, I will be thinking of your success to spur me on!

Papillon Wed 13-Apr-05 11:30:19

Good luck! Pu/Pd sounds good and a lessening of the boob during the night will help. Baby paps took awhile to get out of the habit of waking up at the feed times but once I had resolved not to soften she got the drift.

ionesmum Wed 13-Apr-05 11:32:15

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now