Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my 2.5 yr old to stay in bed?

(7 Posts)
birty Sun 10-Apr-05 20:51:23

I moved my toddler into a big bed as he started climbing out and I knew I would have some problems with him getting out of the big boy bed as it's a novelty. After a couple of nights of taking him back to bed he seemed to accept that bed was sleep time and I thought oh that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now after a couple of months the last two weeks he's been getting out of bed!!! I take him back and back and back!! It's driving me crazy I can't put a baby gate at the door because he can climb over it and do the same normal bed time routine. Help any iteas?

Dior Sun 10-Apr-05 20:53:50

Message withdrawn

birty Sun 10-Apr-05 20:58:34

I've been raising my voice so he know's I mean business, I hold the door shut if he gets out of bed once and I explain this to him before I do it and I've tried bribery that if he stays in his bed I would leave a surprise in my draw for the morning but nothing works.

Tortington Sun 10-Apr-05 21:52:44

its not about bed - its about attention. they get out of bed - you ignore them - you quickly put themback in bed and go away giving them no attention - do it for a week - hard work but it will work. give praise in the morning - dont give platitudes once they get out of bed - dont give anything - quickly put them back and leave.

99redballoons Sun 10-Apr-05 22:16:39

Oh no, birty, I'm just going through the first couple of weeks in a big bed and the gate is currently working for us (my thread ) Look forward to seeing the replies as I'm sure he'll start doing this eventually!

Custardo's and Dior's advice sounds good. Please let us know how it goes!

birty Mon 11-Apr-05 21:38:48

Thanks for the advise your right about the attention, some times I get so wound up I don't think straight. The more I got cross the more attention he got not that it was nice but better than nothing. Tonight I told him that if he stayed in bed I would leave a little surprise in my draw in the morning but if he got out the draw would be empty. Any way he did get out like I was expecting and I didn't say a word to him and just put him back to bed and in the end he got bored and looked at a book because he wasn't getting the attention any more. There will be no surprise in the draw either until he does stay in bed. Thanks again custurdo

Tortington Wed 13-Apr-05 16:52:36

your very very welcome - keep up the good work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now