Talk

Advanced search

DS (5mths) waking crying all night. :(

(12 Posts)
Mum2Ela Thu 07-Apr-05 08:44:37

And I don't know what to do. Am knackered. He wake and really really cries, real tears and everything.

He woke about 6 times last night and I think I fed him twice (it starts to all get a bit blurry) and I def gave him calpol twice. The other times he didn't want to feed.

Do you think its his teeth? But he is calmed as soon as I pick him up.

Bellyache? What do I do about that?

He is breastfed btw.

nnosam Thu 07-Apr-05 08:45:48

it might be wind.

Mum2Ela Thu 07-Apr-05 08:49:41

Do you think I should start him on the infacol? Thought he should have grown out of that by now.

nnosam Thu 07-Apr-05 09:20:35

it might be worth a try, my ds was very windy right up to his 1st birthday. it wont do any harm.

bakedpotato Thu 07-Apr-05 09:33:27

if you're pretty sure he's not hungry, not windy, not unwell, not hot, not cold, not teething (ie, if it goes on and on night after night), i'd guess it's almost certainly a sleep issue.
there's a v sensible, reassuring and informative book by dr richard ferber called 'solve your child's sleep problems' -- try amazon.

cod Thu 07-Apr-05 09:35:09

Message withdrawn

Mum2Ela Thu 07-Apr-05 13:44:05

bakedpotato I am pretty sure he's not hungry, hot or cold. Can't rule out wind so will start on the infacol to rule that one out. He could be teething but I am inclined to rule this one out too cos as soon as I pick him up he stops fairly rapidly! He is a light sleeper duirng the day (ie. I flush the loo and he wakes up) but is better at night, although I am wondering if he has a problem getting into a really deep sleep iykwim, which is perhaps why he is waking so frequently (6 times from 11pm).

His best sleep is between 6pm and 10 - 10.30 - he doesn't murmer.

Cod - will check out that thread now.

Just to make you laugh - it was about 3am this mornand had just put ds down for the umpteenth time and instead of walking into my bedroom, walked straight into the door frame, full force, on my nose! Am sure its broken, it kills!

highlander Sun 10-Apr-05 03:45:14

M2E, I hate to say this.........my DS was only waking once a night until he was 16 weeks then...... he's now 7 months old and has only just gone back to that. I've had 4 months of him waking at least 3 times a night and for the whole of March he was up at least 5 times a night due to 2 colds and front teeth coming in.

I know a lot of mums on here report disturbed sleep between 5-7 months as it's a huuuuuge developmental step and some babies regress quite a lot, rather like 1 year old regression I think? For this reason I never contemplate CC or anything cruel like that as I reckoned DS needed reassurance, not punishment. My neighbour was especially mean and has always been laying into me as to what a crap parent I am for picking DS up when he cries at night. He's pretty much back to the way he was and I'm glad I was there for him.

Good luck, I know how exhausting restless babies can be. I'm only starting to feel human again!

Slave2Babe Sun 10-Apr-05 10:16:18

M2E, my dd is 5.5 months and I have been through this for the last month or so too. No sign of a light at the end of the tunnel yet.

I think with dd it is teething. She really cries hard like she's in pain. Once picked up and comforted she'll fall asleep as I hold her.

Sometimes it is wind but on average she is waking about 4-5 times and mostly just seems to want to be held.

I did try leaving her to settle herself but it was upsetting me to leave her too long cos I could tell she was in discomfort.

KathH Sun 10-Apr-05 11:02:52

cant help but am going thru a really similar thing with ds2 who is just over 6 mths. Right from day 1 he's been a good sleeper but last 3 weeks or so he's been waking up loads in the night, feel like we've gone backwards.

KathH Sun 10-Apr-05 13:10:24

have just found a tooth!

collision Sun 10-Apr-05 13:18:19

Mum2E, try Calgel for his teeth as I am sure ds is crying a lot because of teething.

I havent had more than 4 hours sleep in a stretch since he was born but seem to be getting used to it!! I thought solids would help but it hasnt!! If he wasnt in our room then I would ignore him a bit but it is difficult and I cant stand the noise for more than a minute!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now