Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

nap times and night sleeping

(27 Posts)
sleepymama Wed 06-Apr-05 20:57:48

Just doing a quick check on what other mums think. You may have seen my threads about 3am/4am waking and sleeping through the night.

My question is whether long naps will affect lo's going through the night. Have been trying to follow babywhisperer and have succeeded in getting ds (16 weeks) to nap for around 4 1/2 hours per day (has only worked for past 2 days mid you!) However, he is now waking more frequently during the night. Before long naps he was a nightmare during the day seeming grumpy and still tired.
Now I have to wake him after 2 hours!
How long is long enough for naps, in other mnetters opinion. Especially those of you whose lo's sleep through.I know each baby is different but just wondering really......

Bellie Wed 06-Apr-05 21:16:27

sleepymama - I am certainly no expert but my dd has 3 naps a day and then sleeps from 8.30-10.00 and 10.30- 8.00am. I had similar problems to you so I limit the naps during the day to no longer than 3 hours in total (so dependant on what is happening she may only sleep for 30mins first nap and hour second nap and then 1.5 hours for third nap or another combination- if that makes any sense at all??)
As I say no expert but hope it helps

sleepymama Thu 07-Apr-05 07:52:12

Bellie - does your dd wake up grumpy from short naps? V.Bad night last night. DS up every hour and half from 10.30pm onwards. Screamed for one hour at 5 until bought into bed with me.

hermykne Thu 07-Apr-05 08:32:35

sleepymama
i think at 16wks 3 / 3 and half hrs is enough for babies day time sleep with no sleep after 3.30pm/4pm until bed 7/7.30pm

throckenholt Thu 07-Apr-05 08:58:40

mine at that age slept for ages. Usually alseep within 2 hours of waking, slept through the night (I think), up about 6.30 in am, and bed by about 8 pm. If they didn't sleep a lot during the day they didn't sleep well at night.

Probably slept from 8.30-11ish, and then again from 1ish til 3.30 ish (but they may have been when they were a bit older).

That said, I think 16 weeks is a typical age for nighttime sleep to become more disrupted - it seems to be developmental. A lot of people assume they are hungry and go for weaning (often to find it makes no difference). It usually lasts maybe a few weeks and then things settle down again. Just make sure nighttime wakings aren't rewarding - keep the lights low, talk quietly and as little as possible and clamly tell them it is time to sleep - do whatever needs to be done, and then back to bed.

MollyMooMin Thu 07-Apr-05 09:26:13

Hi sleeymama! See my thread on "anyone with a 3 month old".
Sorry! I'm just as confused!?

MollyMooMin Thu 07-Apr-05 09:26:16

Hi sleeymama! See my thread on "anyone with a 3 month old".
Sorry! I'm just as confused!?

sleepymama Thu 07-Apr-05 10:03:05

Funny you should say that Throckenholt - have considered weaning as he keeps taking the bottle at night. I could have given him anther bottle at 5am this morning and he would have taken it.

Is bringing in to bed with me considered as 'rewarding'? Thats probably the only thing thats going to work unless I feed him.

Hi again Hermykne - DS last feed at 7pm but between 5pm and 6pm he gets really sleepy and grumpy. How do I keep him awake?

Hi Mollymoomin - I know how you feel. Today will try to limit naps and see how it goes.

Strange thing is ds night time sleep has got worse since I have started e.a.s.y routine by baby whisperer!!!!! Could be that or just the fact that he's going through another one of his phases. I swear - I just master something and then it all changes

Seona1973 Thu 07-Apr-05 11:51:08

At 16 weeks my dd still could only go 2 hours before needing a nap and if I tried to keep her up longer than that she got really overtired, was hard to settle and slept even worse!! If your lo is acting tired, he needs a sleep and you keeping him up could backfire.

By the way have you started feeding every 4 hours now instead of 3 as at this age this is what the BW recommends - feed every 4 hours but give more at each feed?

Seona1973 Thu 07-Apr-05 11:54:15

ps my dd was weaned at 16 weeks but made no difference to her night sleep - she had an early morning bottle until she was 5 1/2 months old when she just stopped waking for it. Sleeping through the night is something that they learn to do and solids isnt necessarilly (sp?)going to help with that.

sleepymama Thu 07-Apr-05 12:18:36

I am on the BW 4 hour routine and have been for the past 2 and half weeks. He sems ok with the feeds. Have increased to 8 oz. I don't do the late night feed. Also I don't do top up feeds at 5 and 6pm as she suggests. Don't know if it'll work.
My LO sounds just like yours seona - he s tired within 2 hours of waking. I have just woke him after a hourand half nap. Will try to take him out this afternoon and see what happens tonight.
I tried calpol the night before last and he still woke lots. Will try again tonight.

hermykne Thu 07-Apr-05 12:22:07

sleepymama what time does he wake from his afternoon nap?
for keeping him awake between 5-6 i have the advantage of my dd who entertains, but yesterday i could see he would not last til 7pm so they had a bath together and that livens him up again not too much and then conks.

its tough work between 5-6pm, hardest hour ofthe day at that stage.

laneydaye Thu 07-Apr-05 12:25:51

My dd has 3 short naps during the day.....i have tried and tried to make her go longer (she wont)
She still wakes 3/4 times during the night!

She is 5mths

tried putting her in her crib/settee/moses/my bed/cot none make any difference.......she still wakes in the night....just hungry i guess
thinking about trying cc in about a months time..

Seona1973 Thu 07-Apr-05 12:29:59

does your lo ever drain the 8 ounce bottle (especially in the evening)? My dd used to do that and I'd put in an extra few ounces from one of her other bottles. There were occasions when she would take up to 12 ounces in one sitting!! It also helped her to last a little longer till her next feed.

Seona1973 Thu 07-Apr-05 12:33:48

laneydaye, how does you lo get to sleep in the first place - by herself/dummy/bottle, etc Whatever she uses to get to sleep at the start will be what she expects when she wakes e.g. dummy replaced, bottle, etc

laneydaye Thu 07-Apr-05 13:00:22

tbh thats how i thought it worked.... dd is bf and she goes to bed awake! so thats all going great but its the night feeds i just think shes hungry... aiming to get her into her own room in about 4wks hoping this may help...l;

since starting weaning she is actually doing better it was every2/3 hrs......
so im happy to keep feeding her for another month or so...

Bellie Thu 07-Apr-05 16:41:16

Soory sleepymama - just logged on again today - dd can be grumpy if only has very short naps - but othertimes OK. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes with them they obvioulsy are not reading the same books as us .
Definately agree that if do not sleep well in the day they don't sleep well at night, but apart from that I am sorry I have no further advice - other than do what you think is right! Out of my antenatal group of 6 babies, 3 sleep through 3 dont and we have all done the same things!!

sleepymama Thu 07-Apr-05 17:55:58

Hi there
My lo doesn't usually drain his bottle in the evening but can do at the 11 or 3 feed so I may try adding a few ounces - but don't want to overfeed. Have recently started on 8oz per feed and sometimes he does spit up afterwards.
Have limted naps today- woke him up from both though. He slept 1and half hours am and 1 and quarter in afternoon.
Hermykne -I woke him at 3pm from avo nap (as he was due a feed) have tried to keep him awake between 5 and 6 but he got very agitatedand grumpy so will let him nap until 6ish then wake him.
Bellie - Am glad am not alone in this waking during the night thing.

Anyone know why lo's get red cheeks (have noticed this in passed 2 days) He's not hot but they seem to be red all day.It started off as dry skin so i have been putting on vaseline. He is also drooling alot.

kama Thu 07-Apr-05 18:03:30

Message withdrawn

kama Thu 07-Apr-05 18:04:30

Message withdrawn

sleepymama Thu 07-Apr-05 18:56:16

Thanks Kama - have been using olive oil since birth but does not seem to be doing much for his face - everywhere else on body is lovely and babylicious - just the cheeks.

Will let you kmow ho tonight goes....please wish me luck!

Bellie Thu 07-Apr-05 21:27:37

Sleepymama - sounds like the teeth are moving in the gums to me - may take a long while for teeth to arrive though - dd has had this on and off for about 5 weeks now and still no teeth!
Hope you get some good sleep tonight

nicetoeslee Thu 07-Apr-05 21:31:26

HI

I'm a newbie and am so glad that my lo isn't alone in th sleeping/no sleeping stakes.

Sleepymama - sounds like your little one is teething. That may also be why they aren't sleeping properly. My DS is only 12 weeks and has just started to teeth. Red cheeks, very dribbly, hard to settle, not sleeping as long as before. Can't believe it, hopefully it will come through quickly.

I started to follow BW but realised that it made no difference to my DS sleeping so have decided to let him lead regarding naps. I will as a rule feed him every 3 hours with cluster feeding at 7pm and 9pm with a 'dream' feed at 12am. However, there is no pattern as to how long he will go for. Sometimes only 2hours, maybe 5. I haven't associated daytime naps with his nighttime sleeping. I think I will keep a diary and see if there is a pattern. Sleep deprivation doesn't allow me to remember when and for how long he has slept.

stripey Thu 07-Apr-05 21:33:04

the drooling and red cheeks definitely sound like teething. My ds2 got his first teeth at 4 months so that could be waking him.

sleepymama Fri 08-Apr-05 10:39:44

Not sure if it is teething or if its just dry skin.
Limted nap times to 3 1/2 hours yesterday - ds was up every 45 mins to 1 and half hours wanting dummy. He fed at 3.30am and still woke for dummy.
Don't know what to do really.
He's now been napping one one and quarter hour and hasn't woke for dummy yet..
Could he be confusing day and night. He never used to do this. He used to sleep uninterrupted from 8pm - 3/4 am (and I ws complaining then!!!)
Come back 3/4 am wakings all is forgiven!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now