Talk

Advanced search

When to move baby into her own room?

(9 Posts)
tunise Wed 06-Apr-05 14:26:03

Dd is 6 months old and sleeps in her cot in our room. She's a great sleeper so doesn't disturb us and we are quite happy to keep her in our room at the moment.
It will be a bit of a faff when she goes in her own room, changing sleeping arrangements for older children, clearing out the playroom etc.
So what i want to know is how long to keep her in our room,what have other people done? I'm sure i once read to move them into own room by one year but i can't remember why. Ideas?

nailpolish Wed 06-Apr-05 14:28:05

dont go by what you read or what others tell you to do, if you feel happy just now then why change it? i know others who have put baby in own room from day 1, others who still have 2 yr olds in their room (practicality problems, but no trouble)

Tessiebear Wed 06-Apr-05 14:31:18

I will watch this thread eagerly ... as i will be in the same situation in a few months time. My DS's (7 and 4) went into their own rooms from about 4 weeks old and i would usually sleep in a bed in their rooms until they were sleeping well at night....... this time we only have 3 bedrooms (and DS's dont want to share) so we may have to keep the baby in out room for longer until we sort out the sleeping arrangements / extend our house.
How old are your other children?? Do they have their own rooms?

tunise Wed 06-Apr-05 14:35:35

Older sons are 6 and 7, they do already share a room but in seperate beds and the third room is a playroom. So to make third room into bedroom will involve bunkbeds and huge amounts of clever storage solutions! They will also no doubt fight like cat and dog over who gets the top bunk.

Bagpuss30 Wed 06-Apr-05 14:37:59

Change them round once a month. A friend with twins does this and swears it keeps the peace.

Tessiebear Wed 06-Apr-05 14:38:29

Hmmmm - could you just (with clever storage) move the toys into the room they sleep in now and keep the single beds???
On the other hand if everything is working at the moment - why change it??

Bozza Wed 06-Apr-05 14:49:06

Kept both of mine in with us until 6 months because this is the advice re SIDS. Then moved them out because there was a perfectly good nursery awaiting them and I wanted easy access to my wardrobe once more. But if it suits see no reason to rush into moving her.

If you buy bunkbeds you could put her cot into the space where one of the single beds was, have all 3 in one room and not worry about tidying up, storage solutions etc. Now you are going to tell me why this is not a good idea!

tunise Wed 06-Apr-05 15:16:51

Well, 3 in 1 room is something i hadn't thought of before. It might not be the worst idea in the world actually, at least they could keep the playroom.
I think i'll just keep her in with us for as long as Dh will let me. Dh is keener to move her out than i am. A snoring baby does inhibit our love life a bit.

tunise Wed 06-Apr-05 15:19:12

Now i'm worried because i see that as a pro for keeping her in our room. That's a bit isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now