Talk

Advanced search

14 week old - sudden sleep problems

(8 Posts)
hsbcarter Tue 05-Apr-05 11:39:12

Our 14 week DS was sleeping for 4 hours (more or less) on the first night time (breast) feed (8pm) and then every 2 or so hours after that until 6 in the morning.

That wasn't the best but I guess you expect that from a breastfed baby.

Anyway the last 4-5 nights he's hardly slept. He goes down for 15 minutes then cries and nothing can help him - he is straining but does poo well (there were 5 yesterday!) Obviously we try and sooth him and carry him and all sorts.

He then spends the next 6-8 hours on mum's breast with both of them periodically sleeping for 30 mins at a time, every time we put him down the same thing happens.

There is some respite as I take him into the papoose for upto 3 hours to give her some rest... he sleeps marvellously there!

The boy has suffered from Colic and we take Colief religiously but he does seem in pain.

During the day he is perfect and has a day time rest, its just night time that is evil.

The problem is that until 5 days ago we had a nice routine... its all vanished. Anyone know why? and what we can do about it?

hsbcarter Tue 05-Apr-05 11:43:34

Don't think it is teething by the way as he shows no sign of chewing anything but his fingers!

Should we try calpol? And then what?

welshmum Tue 05-Apr-05 11:50:14

I don't know how much help I can give but just wanted to offer some sympathy for all the broken nights you're having to deal with.
Does he have a good routine before bedtime - bit of massage, bath, milk, bed etc?
Hopefully someone will come along soon with more experience of what you're describing.

hsbcarter Tue 05-Apr-05 12:01:39

Its a really nice routine, feed in the lounge, run the bath then one of us gets in the bath and baths him, then we start to dim the lights, read him a story (even at this age!!!! ) and then take him upto the pre-darkened bedroom and feed him once more.

We wait until he falls asleep on the breast and then I carry him, in his sleeping bag, to the cot.

Its just perplexing that this has only been a problem the last 5 days.... aaarrgggh

beansprout Tue 05-Apr-05 12:05:30

I know how you feel! Just when you think you have something sorted.... it changes! They are going through all sorts of growth and developmental spurts which can disrupt sleeping patterns. It is v early for teething so unlikely to be that. If you think he is in pain though, I would definitely talk to the HV.

Seona1973 Tue 05-Apr-05 12:12:51

Part of the problem will be that he now associates breast feeding with going to sleep. Babies nturally wake up several times a night but the ones that have learned how to self soothe put themselves back to sleep again without having to disturb you. (even a breast fed baby doesnt need to feed every 2 hours in the night)

If you want this to change you need to help your lo learn how to settle himself to sleep without needing a breastfeed. This means you have to start putting your lo in his cot (or wherever he sleeps) while he is sleepy but still awake and then let him go to sleep by himself. There are several methods to help you do this but none of them involve rocking, pacing, feeding, etc - pat/ssh or pick up/put down by the babywhisperer, the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley, controlled crying (whatever suits you and your situation)

It could also be quite disconcerting for him to go to sleep in one position (on mums boob) and then wake up somewhere completely different (in the cot, etc).

welshmum Tue 05-Apr-05 12:43:22

That does sound like a lovely routine hsbcarter - apart from the falling asleep on the breast bit - I agree with Seona he needs to be put down while still awake into the place where he's going to sleep.
I remember we were quite worried about this with our dd and a friend made us stand out of sight and watch while dd put herself to sleep. She cried a tiny bit and wriggled and snuffled - but was plainly not in distress. After watching her do that we realised she just had to learn how to go to sleep on her own and things got better.

donnacb Tue 05-Apr-05 22:02:39

hi my ds 5 months did the same thing for three months but has reflux. he still falls a sleep on the breast but he semi wakes up as i put him down ( have to turn him over as he sleep on his belly to ease the reflux) now just waking up once. also started him on solids at 4 months helped dramatically. think he felt a bit fuller than just breast alone. friends baby also doing the same thing. hv suggested trying to feed 2 hourly during day will let you know if it works (ps if trying sleeping on belly use a breathing monitor and do a resuscitation course local hospital sometimes offer as increses risk of sids)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now