Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping on holiday...advice please

(11 Posts)
decmum Tue 05-Apr-05 10:01:13

Going on holiday to Portugal in August by which time DS will be 19 months. We've just moved him in to a bigger cotbed (still as a cot) because he was bashing himself against the sides of the last cot we had.
Have asked for a cot at the place where we are going but worried about two things - will it be tiny and will the mattress be clean. Tried asking the booking agent about the size and not convinced she knows.
What has everyone else done in this situation? We have a travel cot which is the biggest you can get but it has the hardest mattress (no real mattress in fact) and we've stopped using it now he's older.

decmum Tue 05-Apr-05 10:35:26

bump

saintshar Tue 05-Apr-05 10:44:45

What company are you traveling with decmum? I have no idea about what you could do if the cot was too small, but could you take your own sheets with you so at least you know they are clean?

decmum Tue 05-Apr-05 10:47:24

Going direct with Villa Company and pretty big villa resort.
I will take bedding and could take the zip off top from his mattress.
It seems whatever equipment you purchase it's never quite right. Why can't they make travel cots that aren't hard as nails to sleep in?????

cod Tue 05-Apr-05 10:49:03

Message withdrawn

saintshar Tue 05-Apr-05 10:52:34

Yes, it kind of defeats the object of having a travel cot, doesn't it?

I had one but never used it for DS to sleep in for the same reason. We used it as a play-pen, & toy storage really!

We are going on holiday in 5 Weeks, and altough DS is now 3, I worry about him sleeping when we get back home because his routine will be broke when we are away.

Could you not email the company and ask?

saintshar Tue 05-Apr-05 10:54:01

Cod, you obviously haven't been on holiday to some of the places I have!

decmum Tue 05-Apr-05 10:56:26

Based on the general advice about always having a new mattress for a baby and the quantity of bodily fluids that babies loose (!) I reckon it's highly likely that the mattress isn't ideal. Believe me I'm not precious about most things.

LIZS Tue 05-Apr-05 10:57:58

I'm with Cod - they have a reputation to uphold after all. It is more than likely to be fine.

tbh you may just get allocated a travel cot anyway so I'd assume that it will be on the smaller size. I'm surprised you have stopped using your travel cot already - mine slept in theirs fine and I wouldn't describe the mattress as exactly soft but then at 19 months dd could have climbed out anyway.

If worst comes to worst put him your bed or take the mattress out of cot/spare bed and use it on the floor. I'd take sheets and blankets just for the familiar smell and because you often get given a duvet on the continent, even in the heat !

desperatehousewife Tue 05-Apr-05 11:00:03

I still use travel cot and my ds is 2.7 (he sleeps in a big bed, but if we are away it's a travel cot).

decmum Tue 05-Apr-05 11:04:00

Thanks everyone....reckon we'll take travel cot just in case and then see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now