Talk

Advanced search

Co-sleeping, lots of questions!

(8 Posts)
JoandMax Fri 09-Jan-09 16:15:23

Hi everyone,
My LO is 6 months old and from 8 weeks to 20 weeks slept through the night in his cot in his own room, very happily.
He started waking up in the night the odd night but was easy to resettle so we thought it could of been the cold weather, teething etc. Since then he is now waking up loads and seems genuinely upset/scared when he does wake up, he'll calm down once I hold him but if I try to put him back in he gets upset again so I end up holding him for ages until he's fast asleep before putting him back only to be up again in an hour when he cries again....
I wondered if the problem is he fels lonely and if co-sleeping would help him to feel more secure and therefore sleep better. I don't want to do any form of cc, I have never left him to cry and although it's great for some people not for me. He's fully formula fed too and doesn't ever want a feed from 7pm to 7am.
Any advice?

PuzzleRocks Fri 09-Jan-09 16:54:22

Bumping for you.

RoRoMommy Fri 09-Jan-09 17:04:52

Could it be that he's now reaching an age where he is aware that he is baby and you are mummy and you're not the same person (i.e. separation anxiety), so he needs more closeness than he did before this stage? Either way, no harm in co-sleeping if it helps the problem, you'll both probably get more sleep!

JoandMax Fri 09-Jan-09 18:44:49

I think it could be that RoRo - we have no family nearby so he spends 99% of his time just with me so can be a bit 'mummy' if you know what I mean!!
My husband isn't keen to have him in our bed so as a compromise we're going to put him in his travel cot in our bedroom so hopefully just being right next to my side of the bed will help.
He's such a gorgeous little boy and I'd hate to think of him being lonely at night!!!

weeglenny Fri 09-Jan-09 21:38:15

Perhaps another idea that might help is leaving a light on at night - maybe in the hall? My DS has never been a great sleeper but I leave a light on at night so that if he does wake it's not too dark for him...

JoandMax Sat 10-Jan-09 02:50:32

Thanks Weeglenny, we've tried that already, one of the many things!!
Well, he has been right next to me in our bedroom and it hasn't made any differnce hence me being up now - am rocking him in his bouncy chair as it always sends him back to sleep, no ideal but hey ho we're both knackered!!!
Think I am going to just tell husband he's in our bed tomorrow night as it's me who gets up in the night, he rarely even hears him, men eh??

RoRoMommy Mon 12-Jan-09 10:26:12

JoandMax, how's it going? Suggestion for co-sleeping to get your DH comfortable...get a bed barrier thingy to put on YOUR side of the bed, and bub sleeps between the barrier and you, with DH on the other side of you. That way the only side-effect of co-sleeping he'll feel is your warm bum up against him, which probably won't be such a bad thing anyway wink

JoandMax Tue 13-Jan-09 11:50:38

Hi RoRo, well we tried co-sleeping and much as I loved it LO hated it!! He just seemed so unsettled and was flinging himself all over the place that I gave up about 3am and took him back to his cot. Soon as he was in it he gave me a sleepy smile and was fast asleep in minutes. I was secretly hoping he would love being in our bed as I love nothing more than seeing him asleep peacefully all warm and cosy but have to do what's best for him. He is an independent little thing, doesn't really like being held when he's tired or napping, much prefers to be in his cot or pushchair, oh well!
I think I just have to realise that he needs the odd cuddle from mummy during the night for whatever reason so that's what I have to do (and drink strong cups of tea in the morning to wake me up!!), as long as he's happy and well rested I'm a happy mummy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now