Talk

Advanced search

Dear God, I cannot take this lack of sleep any longer

(18 Posts)
nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:04:19

Any sugestions.

Ds is 2.5 and has always been a good sleeper, through luck I have to say. I was always very grateful for this btw! He never had any issues getting himslef off to sleep.

For the last few months he has had a night or 2 a week where he wakes and needs his face wiped - face wiping is his comfort thing. Weird, yes, but you should meet by dh.wink I could handle this no probs. However, all the colds and back molars coming in have made things even worse. Last night he woke at 12, then 4, 5 and 6. I have had 4.5 hrs sleep most nights for the past fortnight and am incredibly tired, run down and low mooded.

I don't know what to do. Do I Medised him? I am not keen to ignore his cries because he is really distressed when he wakes and he wants to go to sleep, but I can't handle this. My depression is threatening to make a reappearance as it is, we are under so much strain anyway with house selling.

Can anyone help?

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:05:18

Btw, he doesn't nap, so daytime sleep is not an issue.

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:07:37

you can get through this, it is a phase and he will get over it.

He has proved in the past that he is a good sleeper generally, he's just having a problem at the moment.

When lack of sleep really starts to get to me, I co-sleep with them, you tend not to fully wake up to sort them out so you get a slightly better night's sleep.

It doesn't work for everyone, but you might want to consider it as a short term solution.

RoseOfTheOrient Thu 08-Jan-09 10:09:53

co-sleep. It is the only way you will get through this phase. And it IS a phase - it might get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better.

RoseOfTheOrient Thu 08-Jan-09 10:11:18

exactly like what squonk said blush

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:12:14

oh, I lurve it when I'm right wink

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:13:37

Thanks for the reassurances that it is a phase.

I would be more than happy to co-sleep - I can't omagine anything nicer than snuggling up with my wee boy and my dh - but he goes nuts if I put him in our bed or take him into the spare bedroom on my own (or if dh takes him). He won't lie down and cries until he is put back in his own cot.

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:14:21

Oh, yes, and stop copying each other girls. wink

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:15:23

At 2.5 he's getting to be old enough for a bed, with some fab new quilt covers that he has chosen, and see if he settles in it at night, and if he doesn't then you could get in his bed.

There are some cheap beds around if cost is an issue, or you could ask on freecycle, there are nearly always beds on my local one.

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:15:42

And another thing, now I'm here, because I am so knackered I am being very lazy and allowing him to watch tv a lot. I feel bad.sad

I feel like a shite Mum atm.

I used to be good at this.

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:15:43

<<waits for rose to say the same>> wink

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:16:11

you are NOT a shite mum.

Tis what cbeebies was invented for. It's not a bad thing. Honestly.

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:16:26

Yes, I suggested the bed to dh.

He baulked.

He is tired too now, so I may press the issue, lol!

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:17:26

Also, when they are in a bed, if they need something in the night, they come to you so you don't have that wailing that they do when they're in their cot.

Just make sure your stairgate is fixed every night (just in case)

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:17:44

Thank you.

Yes, DO try to keep up Rose!

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:18:26

Yes, the WAILING.

It goes right through you, doesn't it?

fryalot Thu 08-Jan-09 10:19:35

<<shudders>> tis awful! Especially when you've just dropped off to sleep and it's cold outside your bed, and your DH is pretending to be sleeping like a log next to you and snoring really irritatingly loudly

nickytwotimes Thu 08-Jan-09 10:23:32

Yes!
DH's snoring just finishes me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now