Talk

Advanced search

who actually likes co-sleeping?

(24 Posts)
moocowme Mon 05-Jan-09 21:01:02

i started out very lazy and hated getting up on cold nights. i found i felt better rested if i had stayed in bed for the night with co-sleeping instead of in and out all the time especially on a bad teething night.

Now i find that DS is 15mo and I do not really want to give up co-sleeping. I actually enjoy it. I love the feel of that cute fluffy head next to my cheek and like feeling a little warm body near me. getting accidentaly poked in the face while asleep is also sweet. but alass I know he is not going to want to be their forever and will get to big.

so for the meantime i just enjoy all the cuddles while i can.

so who else catually likes co-sleeping?

mrsdisorganised Mon 05-Jan-09 21:03:54

I love co-sleeping, common practise in my house as my DH works away and we have to fill the king size bed somehowgrin

mrshammond Mon 05-Jan-09 21:16:36

Me! I fought it with DD who is now 10 and stressed myself endlessly about her not sleeping.

When I had DS (now 3.5) I made a concious decision to be more laid back. He goes to bed in his own room at 7.30 and happily falls asleep by himself but he wanders in to us at about 12.30.

I posted last week as I was starting to get stressed about that and wanted to stop it.

I have now decided I am happy with the way things are and I love the extra cuddles!

I know it's not for everyone though.

chandellina Mon 05-Jan-09 21:17:52

i thought all co-sleepers liked it?

I personally haven't been able to do it because i get too tense with DS next to me and worry that we will end up pulling the duvet over him.

of course i love the cuddles and warm body next to me, but if i want to sleep i have to put him back down.

if it were just me and DS in a big bed though - i'm sure i'd be all for it.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 05-Jan-09 21:18:37

I love it! DS2 is an angel and would sleep in a cot but I love having him so close and I kiss his forehead, cheeks or hands all the time blush

noonki Mon 05-Jan-09 21:19:09

I love it when there is one of them with us, but not two extra, as DH is a bit rubbish and bashes them!

I therefore sleep with my arms around whichever bundle is with us. love it.

But some nights I love having the bed all to myself as DH works nights sometimes and I can sleep like a starfish grin

lhg32 Mon 05-Jan-09 22:25:45

i have 4 kids all who have had very different sleep patterns. DD 1 always slept well as a baby and only came into or bed for a cuddle occasionally when she could get out of bed herself.

DD2 never ever slept in moses basket/cot/bed and still aged 5 would rather be in our bed. This was and is a real pain but i secretly love the closeness.

DS1 had to sleep in moses basket/cot because there was no room in our bed! but now he can get up out of bed he too wonders in for a cuddle and its so nice to steal a few hours of one to one that ive never objected.

DS2 has been a nightmare like DD2 and wont sleep anywhere
not even with us so we let him cry it out and just bury are heads under the pillow.

i think the point im trying to make is when its on your terms its great when its on there terms in not so enjoyable!

policywonk Mon 05-Jan-09 22:27:53

I love it. I hope I'll accept it graciously when DS2 announces he wants his own bed, but I'm not looking forward to it.

LynetteScavo Mon 05-Jan-09 22:29:04

I love - DH hates it (he calims he gets kicked hmm).

Iamagrownup Mon 05-Jan-09 22:29:39

I didn't love it, but did prefer it to getting up to feed grin. BUT, DS2 was/still is a terrible sleeper and was constantly moving/feeding throughout the night, so it was not at all relaxing!!

At 17mo he seems to have given up the night feeds and I am truely grateful to have the bed just for DH and me wink

PavlovtheCat Mon 05-Jan-09 22:30:35

ME! I am a latecomer to co-sleeping, but at 2.5 DD has just learned the joys of snuggling with mama and daddy. She never liked it before, would not settle. On new years eve she slept, for the first time (in UK) in our bed with us all night (we were not pissed, before you say anything!) and it was wonderful to wake up and watch her stirring and going back to sleep for an hour before she woke up.

She slept with us for a week in US, most nights, just a few hours before DH came to bed, and the in the morning for a couple of hours with both of us.

Both DH and I love it, and I would let it happen more often (all the time?) but DH thinks it is a bad habit to start now sad. I know, but its lovely and she really cuddles now <sigh>

lucykate Mon 05-Jan-09 22:32:31

i love it when ds gets in our bed, he's a real cuddly sleeper too and like to snuggle up. i just love tickling my nose on his hair all night long. dd is all elbows and knees though.

ChubbyChub Mon 05-Jan-09 22:32:37

I love it. So much so that I now have my 4 year old in with me and DS3 (almost 14 months). DH is on the sofa blush

Iamagrownup Mon 05-Jan-09 22:34:06

Mind you, I do still benefit from the early morning (5am ish) feed in bed with DS2, which is quite nice smile

I did love it with DS1, but he didn't do it very often - maybe that is the difference....

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 05-Jan-09 22:46:53

I love co-sleeping until thety get to about 18 months and fidgety - it then becomes co-not-sleeping iykwim!smile

We have now got a super-king size bed and a bedside cot but dd2 10 weeks hardly spends any time in the cot to be honest as I invariably fall asleep while feeding her and I have to say I couldn't manage any other way. DD1 and DS join us at around 6am most mornings to whine and jump on our heads til we get up.

Both older children co-slept till 19m (ds)and 2 1/4 (dd) it started out of necessity when we lived in a one bed flat but continued as it was so natural and worked so well for us. I would hate having dd2 in a cot in another room I would spend all my time getting up to check on her. I like to keep my babies tucked under my shirt until they are walkingwink

Once we have moved children out of the 'family bed' we are quite strict with the bedtime routine and returning wandering children to their own bed - except when ill. This is hard to start with but we are consistent and firm and it pays off when they sleep well and are happy in their own rooms. Though I do miss them - just not the kicking/ snoring/ rotating and migrating round the bed in their sleep...grin

teafortwo Mon 05-Jan-09 22:57:14

Me too!!!

Here is a picture of my family falling asleep at night....

grin grin grin

Don't we look happy!!!

WinkyWinkola Mon 05-Jan-09 22:59:52

I really like it most of the time. I enjoy the fact that we're all snug together. But sometimes I do miss just stretching out and maybe even giving DH a hug in the night. And sometimes I feel like I've really had no time apart from the DCs.

But I think as it won't be long before the DCs shudder at the very thought of our touching them i.e. adolescence, it's a lovely way to help them feel secure and loved in their childhood. Well, that's the theory anyway.

thumbwitch Mon 05-Jan-09 23:02:13

I liked it at the beginning because it meant more sleep and staying warm at night; I also didn't like it because it meant sleeping in odd positions and often ending up with pain in back/pelvis.

I like it sometimes now because DS does snuggle in and it is very cute and lovely; but I don't want to do it much because I don't want him to assume he can always sleep in my bed every night, and sometimes neither of us sleeps well when we are together.

He starts in his cot, if possible he stays in his cot until morning but I always bring him into bed with me for the first feed of the day (usually around 6am - still feels like the middle of the night to me!) and we doze after that. That is lovely!

swanriver Mon 05-Jan-09 23:10:03

I loved it, but threw them out when they fidgeted or talked. Zero tolerance of fidgeting. I think it was blissful to see their little sleeping faces on the pillow next to mine, tho' only one at a time. Could understand why people were driven mad by co-sleeping bfd snackers but past this stage (over two) it was easy.

OneDS Mon 05-Jan-09 23:11:49

me I love it smile

vlc Mon 05-Jan-09 23:13:56

I love it. At some point I'll maybe make the effort to have dd start the night out in her own cot and then join us, but I'm not really bothered about that for now.

Sputnik Mon 05-Jan-09 23:23:29

Me

makemineagecko Mon 05-Jan-09 23:26:07

I co-slept with dd1 for he first year and loved it, but dh put his foot down sad

So I've never co-slept with dd2 19 months. But dd1 3.7 will still creep back into bed with me most nights and I love the snuggles and cuddles. Dh doesn't though, so if he feels her come in he takes her straight back to her bed grin

But, dd1 seems to sense when he gets up at 5am to go to work and pads back into our room and straight into bed- no fuss, almost as if it is a usual routine.

I sometimes feel sad about not having this nightime closeness with dd2, but the upside is she still sleeps 14hrs at night uninterrupted, whereas dd1 has only slept through I think 5 times shock

Aubergenie Tue 06-Jan-09 10:00:09

I love it too. We recently got an Amby Nest but it hasn't seen much use. I don't need much of an excuse to bring ds in with me. Sometimes I just lie there in the dark gazing at his little face.

Trouble is though, it's doing my back in, as I'm always curled around ds, and I get really cold at night as I'm so worried about the covers going on him. Dp hardly sleeps either, as he's worried about rolling on ds, so he often ends up on the sofa. Ds sleeps like a dream though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: