Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help 19 day old baby not settling from 3.30pm onwards and really distressed, could it be colic?

(9 Posts)
JezzaJ9 Fri 02-Jan-09 21:44:07

Hi, I am a first time mum and getting really upset that my ds will not settle at all, he is 19 days old and breastfeeding only, we try everything change, feed and cuddling etc etc but he is just not settling down for a sleep.

He has been really unsettled at night sleeping from 11-1am and then not settling until 5am is this normal? He has also now been awake since 3:30pm he feeds then attempts to sleep and then after putting him down he is awake within 10 minutes scretching. Should we try infacol or a dummy????? Or is this something all newborns do? Please any advice would be very much appreciated.

scrooged Fri 02-Jan-09 21:46:04

I remember ds doing this at this age. It only lasted a day which was good.

Try feeding him again and just holding him, stroking his face may help too.

does he feel hot?

JezzaJ9 Fri 02-Jan-09 21:50:32

he only feels hot when he is getting into what seems like a rage, I have taken his temperature and its normal 36.4

He just gets so worked up and he is so little!

scrooged Fri 02-Jan-09 21:54:07

Has your health visitor told you about the growth spurts they have? There's about three of them and they occur at different times, starting at 2 weeks, then 6 weeks and all they want to do is feed. Is he pulling his knees up to his chest? This is a colic sign, are his nappies OK? any vomiting?

JezzaJ9 Fri 02-Jan-09 22:01:30

yeah occasionally pulls legs up to his chest. He poos ok during the day but not so much during the night, he hasn't been getting sick at all before the last couple of days and mostly during the night, did a couple of big sicks last night. Thanks again

SydneyB Fri 02-Jan-09 22:06:26

Jezza, this is just so normal for a teeny new baby. Please don't worry, things will improve. Just keep him close, put him on the breast the minute him meeps and rest while you can. He just doesn't know its bed/night time yet. Hang in there, its hard i know, but things will fall into place but you probably have to wait a few weeks/months yet.

scrooged Fri 02-Jan-09 22:11:09

Sorry, my laptop restarted itself.

this does sound normal, as sydneyb said but if you think something's wrong then give NHS direct a call. smile

JezzaJ9 Fri 02-Jan-09 22:16:15

Thanks for the reassurance, we probably know this already but it's good to have somebody tell you "it's normal and to just stick with it". Funnily enough he's just snuffling off to sleep right now, hopefully it'll last for more than 10 mins!!!

We had health visitor around today and everything is ok with him (well she said he was average, took it as compliment)

Just need to learn a wee bit more patience/confidence.
Thanks again

scrooged Fri 02-Jan-09 22:22:33

It's OK. smile They should give new parents a proper book with all the info they need when they take their baby home, I needed one! The first 18 years are nervewracking. ds is 9 now and I still have no idea half the time so you are not alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now