Talk

Advanced search

How can I break this habit ? Need some advice please

(6 Posts)
xmasisroundthecorner Fri 19-Dec-08 07:00:17

DS is 17 months and seems to have got into a habit of waking up about 3am - i have been making excuses for why he does this which include teething, being ill, having jetlag etc. the quickest way to get him back to sleep is to give him a bottle, which we have been doing as at that time of the night I just want the quickest way to get back to bed. He has never really been interested in his milk and it's always been a bit of a struggle to get hin to drink enough milk in the day. So i don't think he is waking for that, I think he has just got into a habit now of waking at that time and I don't know how to break it. Any advice please...

leoleomakingalist Fri 19-Dec-08 07:51:48

Set your alarm clock about 30 minutes before regular waking time go in and semi wake him - ie put dummy in, re-position him on to pillow or whatever and re-tuck his covers. This will break his sleep cycle and he will slip into a deep sleep and miss his regular wake up. Do this a couple of nights and he should sleep right through his 3am wake up.
I have done this a few times and worked each time.
The trick is to disturb him a little bit not fully wake him.
Good luck - if you try this let me know how you get on.

xmasisroundthecorner Fri 19-Dec-08 08:25:53

I will try tonight but it isn't always 3am it's anytime between 2.30 and 3.30 so should I just try before 2.30?

leoleomakingalist Fri 19-Dec-08 18:56:02

Yes I would - maybe 2am? Give it ago. Good luck.

oliviasmama Sun 21-Dec-08 22:17:34

did it work?

leoleomakingalist Tue 23-Dec-08 16:59:27

Maybe they are still asleep? smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: