Talk

Advanced search

how much should a 6 mth old sleep? (i seem to ask this every mth, sorry)

(7 Posts)
nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 11:35:46

dd2 is 22 wks now, and she still sleeps 11 hrs at night and 4 during the day, usually 3 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon

is this too much? why do i get the feeling it is?

(maybe cos dd1 didnt shut her eyes all day at this age)

floppsy Tue 22-Mar-05 12:09:40

Hi nailpolish- i think every child is different my dd1 had hardly no sleep during the day,but my dd2 had lots of naps during the day until she was about 1.She still has a nap in the day now at 2.5 (which i've just had to wrestle with her to do).The only thing i found is my dd2 who slept more as a baby is now a hyperactive toddler who never sits still unless she is asleep,but have to admit she is in a good bedtime routine & is in bed by 7.30.I just think some babies need more sleep than others don't think its anything to worry about.

nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 12:33:35

every day when i realise how much sleep she has had i worry she wont go down at bedtime - i put her down awake and she just drops off on her own no probs

sometimes when other people are around like dh or mum they say things like 'maybe you should wake her' whilst looking at their watch

this annoys me and i dont, but then i worry shes sleeping far too much

Gobbledigook Tue 22-Mar-05 12:37:03

Nailpolish - this sounds spot on to me.

DS3 is almost 7 months now, and during the week when I'm in my proper routine he sleeps:

9-9.30am (on the nursery run in the car!)
11-1pm ish (in his cot)
Might have half an hour later on in the afternoon, definitely if we are driving back from somewhere in the car around 4-5pm.

7.30-7.30am - without fail, put in cot awake, falls asleep on his own, no night wakenings!!

And my other 2 did the same so it's normal to me!! Think yourself lucky! I do!

Gobbledigook Tue 22-Mar-05 12:37:51

Forgot to say, at the weekend when we are obviously not doing the nursery run, he doesn't do the 9am sleep but has a longer sleep at lunchtime so will do approx 11-2pm instead.

floppsy Tue 22-Mar-05 12:40:09

Have you tried to keep her awake i know myself this is hard,but if you are doing things with her do she stay awake? You could try talking to your GP or health visitor if your that worried but i don't think its anything to worry about.As for waking her when shes sleeping no way ithink if they've fell asleep on their own they must need it & thats one thing i don't agree with unless they have slept for a long time.How long are her naps?

nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 12:46:40

gdg - oh yes i thank my lucky stars she goes to bed 8pm til 7am without waking through the night, ESPECIALLY the falling asleep on her own. i love the fact i can put her down awake and she goes over on her own

your routine sounds similar to that, thanks for the reassurance

floppsy, sometimes i think she is tired cos she is so busy while she is awake, her big sister (2.5 yrs) is on the go non-stop and includes dd2 in everything - what usually happens is dd2 is happy as larry one minute and then all of a sudden realises how tired she is and cries, a big long tired cry. she eats loads too, has huge milk feeds.

ill stop worrying now (til the next thing!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now