Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Morning v afternoon naps

(10 Posts)
HUNKERMUNKER Sat 19-Mar-05 19:36:57

DS is nearly one and has a very long morning nap - he's often up about 8, then back in his cot asleep by 10.30. He's been known to sleep until 1, so 2.5 hours.

Then he's usually awake till bedtime (occasionally has a brief snooze if he's in the buggy later on in the afternoon), which is normally about 8-8.30.

He seems a happy chap on this (sometimes gets a bit fragile around bedtime, but not horribly upset - I can hear him now chatting to DH after his bath!), so I'm not particularly concerned about changing it, but I know babies usually have an afternoon nap. I quite like it as it means I can get on with jobs in the morning and then we can go out for/after lunch.

So, does anyone else have a morning napper? Is there anything terribly important about afternoon sleep that I don't know?!

TracyK Sat 19-Mar-05 19:40:53

My ds has just turned 1 and has a long afternoon nap. Usually 1 till 3pm. I'm quite glad he doesn't nap in the mornings as he's at nursery and I'd grudge paying them for him to sleep for 2 hours!
If it suits you then I wouldn't bother changing it - it will be interesting to see what others think.
What time does he go to bed at night if he sleeps in the buggy at 8 pm?

colditzmum Sat 19-Mar-05 19:40:56

If I could make my ds sleep that long in the morning, I would. Ther nap tends to get later as they get older, sdo eventually it might be falling after lunch.

SeaShells Sat 19-Mar-05 19:43:07

My dd is 15months now and has always napped on a morning, up at about 7am, naps 10ish-12ish, then bed at 7pm on the dot every night, I love it.

HUNKERMUNKER Sat 19-Mar-05 19:46:12

SS, glad to hear someone else's child does this

TracyK, he doesn't sleep in the buggy at 8-8.30pm, he goes to bed then (going to do last feed as soon as I've posted this in fact!). If he has a snooze in the afternoon, it's usually about 4.15-5, then I wear him out by chasing him round so he's still in bed by 9pm

MrsDoolittle Sat 19-Mar-05 19:46:49

Wow! My dd is the same age as yours Hunkermunker, she naps in the morning and the afternoon. She also sleeps from 6pm to 7am!

TracyK Sat 19-Mar-05 19:52:38

sorry HM - get you now!

pootlepod Sat 19-Mar-05 20:11:05

My 14 month old LO seems to nap in the morning too, but ends up getting very tired from around 4:30 pm onwards which can be difficult as she refuses to nap for longer/a second time. Generally, we have a telly time for 20 mins where she 'rests'. I would prefer an afternoon nap for this reason but can't she to break her habit.
Though she's reasonably adaptive, if we are out in the morning she may grab a nap in the pushchair and have her nap straight after lunch.

HUNKERMUNKER Sat 19-Mar-05 23:37:14

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has a morning napper - and while it suits us, I guess I'll stick with it He will stay awake happily if we're out in the morning and catch up in the afternoon, so I guess he's OK! I just keep being asked if he has a long sleep in the afternoon. Still, beats being asked about when I'm going to stop breastfeeding him

Surfermum Sat 19-Mar-05 23:41:03

I have a morning napper too HM. She'll go down as early as 10, but as we only get up about 9.30 on some mornings I usually put her down at about 11/11.30. When she wakes up we then have the whole afernoon to go out somewhere, and then she's really tired for bed and sleeps 7 till 8/9ish. She seems really adaptable too, if we go out in the morning she just sleeps when we get back, and she will go all day without a nap if we're out and doesn't seem to get grumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now